IGNORED

Happy 30th birthday to Doom!

guitarzombie

18 hours ago, BlackVega said:

So is this another one of those custom wad files intended for those modern Doom source ports right? To be fair I'm not into custom wads or hacks of games in general but most importantly I still need to complete Plutonia and TNT.......

John Romero made it in the spirit of DooM 1. So nothing from DooM 2 was used, monsters or guns, or textures.  Altho I think the secret level uses a few 'new' textures.  The only improvement is the newer source ports are limit removing so you can add as much stuff as you want, as the original DooM constricted it, as to not tax lower end computers.

18 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Just recently played Sigil 1 actually, was very very good, definitely excited to check out Sigil 2!

Its great but its REALLY hard!! 

Events Team · Posted

Beat Sigil 2 a couple days ago and yeah, can confirm it's great! LOVED the soundtrack too, it was really really good.

20 minutes ago, NostalgicMachine said:

I've got a copy of DOOM 64 on the way; my personal favorite entry.

64 might be my favorite of the original 3 as well honestly, if we're only taking in to account the base games.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Beat Sigil 2 a couple days ago and yeah, can confirm it's great! LOVED the soundtrack too, it was really really good.

64 might be my favorite of the original 3 as well honestly, if we're only taking in to account the base games.

Ive been trying to pistol start it with no saves, and trying to learn the map.  Im at E6M6, which I have beaten but I'm going back to find the right path.  E6M1 may be the hardest official doom level of all time haha.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

10 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

It's definitely my favorite of all of them, not even including just the base games.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, Link said:

So you guys don't count Final Doom?

Personally I think of TNT and Plutonia as add-ons for DOOM II rather than their own separate entry in the franchise, but that might just be me. You could definitely make an argument for Final DOOM being its own unique entry.

43 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I really dunno why they called it DOOM 3, should've just called it DOOM 4 given the existence of 64

I remember when Doom 64 came out, it was looked down upon as an out of date FPS; most assumed it was just a port of the OG. It has really held its own against Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for me.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, NostalgicMachine said:

I remember when Doom 64 came out, it was looked down upon as an out of date FPS; most assumed it was just a port of the OG. It has really held its own against Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for me.

Honestly they probably should've ported the first 2 games as well, kind of a missed opportunity if you ask me, haha.

6 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Honestly they probably should've ported the first 2 games as well, kind of a missed opportunity if you ask me, haha.

There was already Doom on Super Nintendo. It wasn't like today, where everything gets a port (and that's largely Nintendo's own stuff if it's not a collection)

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, Link said:

There was already Doom on Super Nintendo.

Well yeah but it sucked, the N64 was a console that would've been more than capable of an actually good port.

...Also, you say that about it not being like today with ports, but there really were quite a substantial amount of DOOM ports honestly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doom_ports

It really is a bit strange that stuff like the 3DO got DOOM ports, but the console that had an entire new DOOM game on it never got the original 2.

Just now, ZeldaFreak said:

but there really were quite a substantial amount of DOOM ports honestly.

I know. People are still porting it to toasters and stuff. idk, I see why you say now that it would make sense, but I'm not surprised they skipped that at the time and went only with something new for N64.

How many of those other consoles that got Doom 1 ports also got a new game?