IGNORED

3DS and Wii U Online Services Ending April 2024

koifish

Saw the announcement and figured I would share since I didn't see a thread yet. Have been dodging paying for online on switch off and on by playing Mario Kart 8/etc. on Wii U instead; Sucks that they are going out. Not to mention some treasured 3DS games, though again I can't play them like I used to (no time, wrists broken from playing Kid Icarus, etc.) How are you feeling about this?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-to-shut-down-online-play-for-all-3ds-and-wii-u-games.640718/

I feel bad for people who may have felt that when they created the NNID format like what a decade ago that was their network going forward.  They pitched pretty hard that they were going to streamline and realize proper services compared to the Wii/DS stuff that were being shut down since they couldn't be properly grown/upgraded.  But it seems I guess behind the scenes at some point they found even that network the last generation had was still not upgradeable or expansion ready enough for what is there now.  The newest now stuff(Switch) has an account that carries over as people thought the older would, but it doesn't even use the NNID it's another NIntendo account, unified this time I hope.

I think I'd be upset about it, but as time goes, job(s) now go, I've been offloading more and more and keeping more what I can find time for that matters so the DS and 3DS generation are out.  I haven't had a Wii in awhile and the ugly WiiU even longer, debating even offloading my Cube at this rate due to the market behaviors.  But with me not having that stuff now, not going to have it again, I don't have a stake in it to feel personally put out.

I just wish for stuff that's stuck on digital there was a way of recovery short of very welcome and deserving piracy in that case.  My mind draws back to Konami and the Castlevania, Gradius, and Contra unique entries on Wiiware lost to the world outside of theft or buying someones old system which has it still.  This is just going to be as bad or worse on 3DS and WiiU given the expansion of non-physical games in the decade since.

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I just wish for stuff that's stuck on digital there was a way of recovery short of very welcome and deserving piracy in that case.  My mind draws back to Konami and the Castlevania, Gradius, and Contra unique entries on Wiiware lost to the world outside of theft or buying someones old system which has it still.  This is just going to be as bad or worse on 3DS and WiiU given the expansion of non-physical games in the decade since.

Yes, the Konami "ReBirth" series on Wiiware. Those games were absolutely excellent and I still weep over the knowledge that they basically only exist now on whatever Wii/WiiU harddrives have them installed and haven't yet gone kaput. I've got both Castlevania ReBirth and Contra ReBirth still on my WiiU but I didn't redownload Gradius ReBirth before it all went away. It's a damn shame. They need to get a proper physical release as part of some kind of compilation so that people can experience them.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

Yes, the Konami "ReBirth" series on Wiiware. Those games were absolutely excellent and I still weep over the knowledge that they basically only exist now on whatever Wii/WiiU harddrives have them installed and haven't yet gone kaput. I've got both Castlevania ReBirth and Contra ReBirth still on my WiiU but I didn't redownload Gradius ReBirth before it all went away. It's a damn shame. They need to get a proper physical release as part of some kind of compilation so that people can experience them.

On the up side, Wii is so easy to emulate (at least on PC) that eventually they should end up getting ports just like the G-Mode Archives that are porting old JP phone games to switch.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, koifish said:

On the up side, Wii is so easy to emulate (at least on PC) that eventually they should end up getting ports just like the G-Mode Archives that are porting old JP phone games to switch.

Got no reason not to admit it.  I can't remember the last time I warez'd a game would be a statement I would say, if not for a friend I have offline reminding me they existed a couple weeks ago, so I found their WAD files and just grabbed them since I keep dolphin around for lazy moments for random fast play of GC discs I own.  That was something nice, I mean I had 2 of the 3 of them (meh on contra) when the Wii was a thing, so I guess it's gray area. 😉  They are true losses, play amazing, hold up so well...and they're vapor.

GBA got its run again with DracX SNES, let's have a Wiiware bundle.  It's not impractical since the GBA games got boosted with DraculaX.  Just put the 3 Wiiware games with like Castlevania Chronicles as a 4th since that oddly was excluded from their package deal for Castlevania Anniv Collection.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Got no reason not to admit it.  I can't remember the last time I warez'd a game would be a statement I would say, if not for a friend I have offline reminding me they existed a couple weeks ago, so I found their WAD files and just grabbed them since I keep dolphin around for lazy moments for random fast play of GC discs I own.  That was something nice, I mean I had 2 of the 3 of them (meh on contra) when the Wii was a thing, so I guess it's gray area. 😉  They are true losses, play amazing, hold up so well...and they're vapor.

GBA got its run again with DracX SNES, let's have a Wiiware bundle.  It's not impractical since the GBA games got boosted with DraculaX.  Just put the 3 Wiiware games with like Castlevania Chronicles as a 4th since that oddly was excluded from their package deal for Castlevania Anniv Collection.

I feel you on that. Frankly once they stop selling it, I stop seeing why the rules matter. 3DS would be a horribly neutered system if you didn't have access to CIAs and hShop going forward.

• Agree 1