IGNORED

Recapping - GameGear & Xbox

FireHazard51

I've recapped a few GG and got my kits from this guy on Ebay. I'm not a capacitor expert so IDK if they were the highest quality capacitors in the world, but they worked for what I was trying to accomplish.

https://www.ebay.com/str/alexsoddsnends

I know a lot of people recommend Console5, I've never ordered from them but heard the name around quite a bit.

https://console5.com/store/console-cap-kits/sega/game-gear.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd avoid buying kits from ebay, they are often of lower or unkown quality. Bootleg and remarked parts are a serious problem to the point where even capacitors have fake markings. Not worth the hassle. Always buy from a trusted distributor if possible.

Consider buying from console5, they will hook ya up with the good stuff.

Edited by SNESNESCUBE64
  • Sad 1

Social Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

I'd avoid buying kits from ebay, they are often of lower or unkown quality. Bootleg and remarked parts are a serious problem to the point where even capacitors have fake markings. Not worth the hassle. Always buy from a trusted distributor if possible.

Consider buying from console5, they will hook ya up with the good stuff.

I just bought the ebay kit Khromak recommended.  Anyway I can test quality of caps with a multimeter?  I'll be sure to use console5 for future purchases or make my own kit from a reputable supplier (usually not cheap for small orders). 

2 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I just bought the ebay kit Khromak recommended.  Anyway I can test quality of caps with a multimeter?  I'll be sure to use console5 for future purchases or make my own kit from a reputable supplier (usually not cheap for small orders). 

It will probably be fine in all reality. You can't really test the quality, quality comes from it's rating (how many hours at max specs it will last), if you don't know where the parts came from it's hard to know how good they are until they die. Although I remember reading something about lower ESR capacitors lasting longer. Higher quality capacitors also tend to be rated for 105°C or higher, but that's not a great indicator as even the cheapest capacitors advertise that. Anything will be better than what was originally in game gears, so no harm no foul.

Try to stick with name brand ones like Nichicon, Chemicon, Rubycon, Panasonic, and Würth. They hold to much higher quality standards than ChongX for example (no that is not me using a slur).

Edited by SNESNESCUBE64
  • Thanks 1