IGNORED

The First Entry vs. The Best Entry

T-Pac

Administrator · Posted

For me, this really is a case-by-case basis sorta thing.

I find that most often, I have a deep love, respect, and nostagia for the original - especially given that in most cases, that is what I played first.  And sometimes, the original is the best experience for me.

More often than not, I think, is the case where I still love that original experience, but evolutions and expansions to the game have led to gaming experiences that I find more enjoyable later on.

I will always respect and appreciate the original Legend of Zelda for what it is and what it started.  But if I had to pick, I would always rather play Link to the Past over the original, because I feel it took the good things about the original, and expanded the game so much more into something I enjoy playing more.  

I feel the same way about Metroid.  I LOVED Metroid back in the day, but I'd rather go back and play some of the sequels more, at this point.  

It doesn't mean I'll never touch the original LOZ or Metroid, and I will always appreciate and respect what they started, but in terms of how I want to spend my time in gaming, it is probably with other games.

There are, of course, other cases where I still enjoy the original the best.  Take Luigi's Mansion for example.  I just love the first one.  And while I enjoyed some of the later games, and thought Luigi's Mansion 3 was super fun, I still prefer the original.  I'm sure I could think of many other similar examples as well.

On 7/7/2023 at 11:55 AM, fcgamer said:

Pro tip: Always go for volume three. Volume two always goes sideways, three brings it back to its roots yet perfects it, aside from the Metroid series. 😛 In that situation, go for the original, and part II if you need something fun on the go.

Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and Crash Bandicoot would all like a word with you.  

Also, how the hell is Metroid NOT an example of part three perfecting a given series?????