IGNORED

Brian’s Toys Buying Sheet from 2007 with Prices

One thing that sticks out to me is they were offering more money for the tengen Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom than the licensed mindscape variant. I remember the unlicensed games having a niche appeal back then compared to regular releases, but I’ve always perceived them like those 1990 Post cereal baseball cards- yea they’re cool and all but all their jerseys and hats are blank and they just look weird.

• Like 1

I remember this advert! It was tied to my favorite article where the author did an investigation into how VGA did business during their Tom Derby era!

In this case Tom Derby was the former owner of Cloud City Collectibles, but sold it to Brian's Toys after he had purchased CGA. So long before the entity was more than just AFA, Brian's Toys was given ties to the grading company. Both Brian Semling and Tom Derby created Premier Collectible Auctions (click here).

When it came to grading video games, Tom Derby says that he has a role in the creation of that. With Brian's Toys being observed to have bought sealed games at those prices. Which had them, as you can guess it, sell the copies they had graded for a premium (click here). With additional titles, and graded consoles, sold at Premier Video Games (click here).

But yeah... I tried to do business with Brian's Toys when it came to my Star Wars collecting days. So them skipping out on any more rare titles in 2007 does not surprise me. 🤣

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

Wow I remember PVG and all the controversy around VGA! Somebody should tell that speed run video game journalist this story, this would def get him some clicks

Speaking of grading and speed runs... My first submission to Wata Games has hit post-grading!

This was the biggest surprise since the day I found out that @Gloves was well known at Wata Games! With the grading results being as "shocking" as the fact that nobody knows who I am there. 🙃

Plus, Wata has the image of my game's spine being upside down. So I think that journalist would get some clicks reporting that as a controversy. 🤣

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

This was the biggest surprise since the day I found out that @Gloves was well known at Wata Games! With the grading results being as "shocking" as the fact that nobody knows who I am there. 🙃

Wait, I'm well known there? Whuh?

Just now, Gloves said:

Wait, I'm well known there? Whuh?

The grader I met at the post office (that was less than a mile from Wata's office) said that his boss is a member here. And that others at Wata know who you are. With it sounding like you were not a "Dain in the butt" to said member in question.

• Haha 2

Yea I was buying from them back then. Missed a cheap VGA 85 Super Mario Kart. One of the games I bought there (Super Mario Bros. Deluxe Holofoil VGA 85) was actually being auctioned at HA last Tuesday but the auction was pulled. I sold this game to Dain back in the day. 

• Wow! 1