IGNORED

Crystallization Experiment

SilverSurfer

Mods please let me know if this is not appropriate.

Besides gaming, I think we all have other hobbies.  My other favorite thing to do is to collect samples and view them under a microscope.  It's actually very addictive, and I always enjoy the search to find some new microbe or specimen.  I also enjoy growing crystals of various compounds and viewing those under the microscope.  Its beautiful to see them appear and grow.  Here is a time lapse I did recently of crystallization.  Hope you enjoy.

Edited by SilverSurfer
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Link said:

I couldn't watch the video when this thread was posted because I was at work. Now I have, and as I expected, it's beautiful!

How long do the crystals last? If they are permanent, what do you do with them after you grow them?

The crystals are made of Copper Sulfate.  They should last forever as far as I know.  If you seed a crystal, you can make a large one that looks stunning and is nice to place on your desk.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 11:23 AM, SilverSurfer said:

The crystals are made of Copper Sulfate.  They should last forever as far as I know.  If you seed a crystal, you can make a large one that looks stunning and is nice to place on your desk.  

I'm really interested in doing this. I finally got everything I need (fishing line is surprisingly hard to find) and I started today. 

I'm following these instructions:
https://crystalverse.com/best-way-to-grow-copper-sulfate-crystals/

It says very hot but not boiling. So I had the water steaming, and I stirred for a few minutes but the crystals would not all dissolve. The guide says powder, but the copper sulfate I got is more like gravel. Am I doing anything wrong?