IGNORED

Help! Alienware 17 Laptop GPU upgrade

phart010

My mother in law has an Alienware 17 Model P18E from 2013. She’s not a gamer… it was her work laptop for 3d modeling.

Recently I believe the GPU failed. There is no display when I turn on the laptop. When I remove the GPU, the display works. I think that means it switches over to integrated graphics on the motherboard.

I want to order her a new graphics card. I don’t have much experience with upgrading graphics cards, so I’m not sure if there are compatibility issues I need to be looking out for. I was thinking to just buy an exact replacement of the original nvidia 89T386-Z410A0 for around $150-$200. But if it’s not anything too expensive or complicated to do, I’d consider buying an upgraded graphics card.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get?

7FB3401A-DA68-4DE3-8AF5-1B006FA6AA05.thumb.jpeg.7074a6b452a4a0ffe99ae2554a39ceb2.jpeg76E242EE-0F34-4685-990E-0D45684E5EB3.thumb.jpeg.d18cc6beb1eeba68d9b323e86c1dd83d.jpeg

Edited by phart010

I’d probably look into an external graphics card or just replace the whole thing. It’s 10 years old. If that was running whatever graphical needs she has, a new laptop won’t be that expensive not since she probably wouldn’t even need a discreet graphics card at this point. 

Interesting that when you remove the graphics card it works because it should actually be on integrated graphics all the time until it needs the graphics card, not the other way around. Have you tried booking it up to an external monitor with the card in? Not sure what that would prove but it is interesting. Could be the mobo?

8 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I’d probably look into an external graphics card or just replace the whole thing. It’s 10 years old. If that was running whatever graphical needs she has, a new laptop won’t be that expensive not since she probably wouldn’t even need a discreet graphics card at this point. 

Interesting that when you remove the graphics card it works because it should actually be on integrated graphics all the time until it needs the graphics card, not the other way around. Have you tried booking it up to an external monitor with the card in? Not sure what that would prove but it is interesting. Could be the mobo?

Yea I tried connecting it to an external monitor while the GPU was still installed and we got the same result… there was no display.

She has been using this laptop all this time and is very used to it, so if changing out a $200 part will get her going again, I’d rather do that. The specs on this laptop seem to still be reasonably good even compared to today’s standards. It has 16gb of ram, i7 gen4 processor, 17-inch display and backlighted keyboard.

Edited by phart010

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, phart010 said:

Yea I tried connecting it to an external monitor while the GPU was still installed and we got the same result… there was no display.

She has been using this laptop all this time and is very used to it, so if changing out a $200 part will get her going again, I’d rather do that. The specs on this laptop seem to be still be reasonably good even compared to today’s standards. It has 16gb of ram, i7 gen4 processor, 17-inch display and backlighted keyboard.

you can always look up the specs and see what is compatible with that laptop.  I am with @a3quit4s though, could be a connection, so even replacing with exact same may get you nothing.

2 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

you can always look up the specs and see what is compatible with that laptop.  I am with @a3quit4s though, could be a connection, so even replacing with exact same may get you nothing.

What current gen processor would be considered equivalent specs to this old GPU+i7 processor? 

Like if I were to buy a new/modern laptop what kind of processor should I be looking at to make sure we are meeting or exceeding the old specs

Edited by phart010

5 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

@phart010 do you have a model number for the laptop?  So i can see all the specs?

Just about any mid level laptop will probably be similar or better than the current honestly, things move quick in the computing world in 10 years 😉  

C418C38E-38A2-423E-8691-7E88E5818410.jpeg.821c606a0ff974d0874f05464909b69e.jpeg

696FF8E3-96E6-4055-86B4-ACFCECCA27F0.jpeg.436254f7e94191ccae20378aff2d8c8a.jpeg

Edited by phart010

10 minutes ago, phart010 said:

What current gen processor would be considered equivalent specs to this old GPU+i7 processor? 

Like if I were to buy a new/modern laptop what kind of processor should I be looking at to make sure we are meeting or exceeding the old specs

A fourth gen i7 could probably be beat by a 11 series i3 at this point and that 16GB of ram is probably ddr2 lol. An m1 Mac air would blow this thing out of the water and you could get it on sale with 8GB of ram lol

I don’t blame you for not wanting to change it though, every time I get something new for my mother in law it’s like teaching someone how to walk again

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

A fourth gen i7 could probably be beat by a 11 series i3 at this point and that 16GB of ram is probably ddr2 lol. An m1 Mac air would blow this thing out of the water and you could get it on sale with 8GB of ram lol

I don’t blame you for not wanting to change it though, every time I get something new for my mother in law it’s like teaching someone how to walk again

The deal breaker is the 17 inch display. She needs a large display because of her eyesight. I think the 17 inch displays will put it into a higher price bracket

Events Helper · Posted
Events Helper · Posted
Events Helper · Posted

Im not great with laptops, but just for starters.  Honestly anything newer would be better, just ask if you need help though, like post a link and we can look it over and see if it looks aight.  That video card looks to be a 2GB graphics in her old computer, so that is way out of date.

3 minutes ago, phart010 said:

The deal breaker is the 17 inch display. She needs a large display because of her eyesight. I think the 17 inch displays will put it into a higher price bracket

If new isn’t the route you wanna go I still vote external graphics card, because even if you buy a replacement or compatible card it’s still gonna be 10 years old, used, and probably going to crap out. Although with the port speed on whatever ports are on that Betty the external card may not even work right. 

All signs point towards new 

Events Helper · Posted

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/alienware-m17-r5-gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-m17-r5-amd-gaming-laptop/wnm17r5cto011s

Another alienware with ddr5 ram, which is probably 2 gens up from what she was using, a 6GB graphics and 17" display and a 512 GB SSD, you want SSD

46 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

One more question @phart010 is it work or pleasure, if work what does she do, if pleasure, is it internet/movies?  VGS😏

It was originally for work but now she uses it as her personal. She has a newer machine for work. This one is for personal use and she was traveling with it for vacations (yea seems impractical given its weight). I don’t think she wants to use it with a dock or monitor as she keeps it on her coffee table and was bringing with her on vacation trips.

57 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

If new isn’t the route you wanna go I still vote external graphics card, because even if you buy a replacement or compatible card it’s still gonna be 10 years old, used, and probably going to crap out. Although with the port speed on whatever ports are on that Betty the external card may not even work right. 

All signs point towards new 

How do external cards connect? Via usb??

Events Helper · Posted
7 hours ago, phart010 said:

It was originally for work but now she uses it as her personal. She has a newer machine for work. This one is for personal use and she was traveling with it for vacations (yea seems impractical given its weight). I don’t think she wants to use it with a dock or monitor as she keeps it on her coffee table and was bringing with her on vacation trips.

is it possible just to use the integrated graphics that you have after you pulled the gpu out or is it just so bad it doesn't do what she wants?  Might be the cheapest solution until she can save up a bit and buy a new laptop.  Just a thought.  Other than that, I don't know anything about external gpu, but looks like it possibly uses a dock to connect to the pc, so not very portable without the extra hassle.  

8 hours ago, phart010 said:

Yeah but usb c or thunderbolt, some work vga and the really low power ones work usb. Like @Jeevan says they aren't very portable. I would try just using integrated graphics and maybe buying up the RAM to max if it can handle 24GB or 32GB and bumping up the integrated ram max if it’s available in the bios

• Agree 1

Moderator · Posted
9 hours ago, phart010 said:

What does she actually do with the laptop? Does she game? Or is it just general use like internet browsing, Netflix streaming?