IGNORED

Introducing My Collection Tracker Mobile Application

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

By popular demand I removed the unnecessary information from the game details page. What do you think of it now?

Screenshot_2023-03-04-22-31-46-33_4b713319b554ac3de8f5ff321b2c5288.jpg

Seriously I dunno why you don't just hide fields you lack data for. Why have "Developer: _blank_"? Same w/ "Release Date" if it's "unknown"? Hide that shit, broheem.

Administrator · Posted
34 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I'm still populating data, I want to get the interface done first.

Doesn't matter that you're still populating data - the fact is one of the games somewhere down the road may be missing a piece of data, perhaps that data simply doesn't exist. I'd still do a "If does not exists or is null..." to hide these things. Empty non-information is clutter.

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...

I've been working on this every day but mostly took a break from the mobile side to work on the machine learning side for image classification. I built a model using Tensorflow that will automatically detect and recognize any cartridge, manual or box for a game. I just need to incorporate that into the mobile side so you can add games to your collection just by pointing the camera at them.

Anyway, here are some updated screenshots of the application itself. Why purple? I don't know, I'm not a designer, I'll eventually get someone to work on the design for me but everything done so far was done by just me.

The consoles I have so far, the rest will get entered on a regular basis:

Screenshot_2023-08-30-08-48-56-26_4b713319b554ac3de8f5ff321b2c5288.jpg.8acef00769735f00264e619f5afe4290.jpg

List of games with indicators of which pieces you own:

Screenshot_2023-08-30-08-49-19-11_4b713319b554ac3de8f5ff321b2c5288.jpg.2586dcdf67e24e78f031b2ed532aaca4.jpg

Game screen, all of these links now work. The pricing information isn't fully populated yet because I wanted to get my image recognition model complete first so it can automatically classify contents of online sales instead of me categorizing them manually:

Screenshot_2023-08-30-08-50-07-25_4b713319b554ac3de8f5ff321b2c5288.jpg.3648fd4fe8e88433a486f25e95233732.jpg

No more need to load up eBay and look at recent sales, they're all right here in the application. You can see all recent sales of any game:

Screenshot_2023-08-30-08-51-01-59_4b713319b554ac3de8f5ff321b2c5288.jpg.cf290e335bab3136bb8871c018e5b5c7.jpg

Administrator · Posted

I see you've gone with the "CIB" method for tracking owned pieces. Any chance you extend that to (I'm making up a term here...) "CIBE" (or whatever), with "E" for "Extras"? Or maybe another checkbox labelled "Complete", which also auto-selects all of "CIB", to denote that you have everything. Acknowledging of course that space is limited.

Further, if CIB = Cart, Instructions, Box, then you run into the classic "this is a disc system" dilemma - any plans for that?

Further further, your UI shows "CIB" when abbreviated, but when you spell it out the "I" becomes "Manual", which is confusing.

50 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I see you've gone with the "CIB" method for tracking owned pieces. Any chance you extend that to (I'm making up a term here...) "CIBE" (or whatever), with "E" for "Extras"? Or maybe another checkbox labelled "Complete", which also auto-selects all of "CIB", to denote that you have everything. Acknowledging of course that space is limited.

Further, if CIB = Cart, Instructions, Box, then you run into the classic "this is a disc system" dilemma - any plans for that?

Further further, your UI shows "CIB" when abbreviated, but when you spell it out the "I" becomes "Manual", which is confusing.

Good points, this is exactly the feedback I'm looking for.

I will have some way of tracking extras that came with the game but it won't be print run specific. For example, Mega Man 2 will not show the sticker because only specific print runs came with it so I wouldn't want to confuse collectors that show the sticker as missing when their print run never came with it. If it's something like Mike Tyson's letter that came with all print runs, that will be selectable.

It won't be part of the 3 clickable buttons but will be selectable somehow, I'm just not sure yet. I may go as far as listing all optional extras down below in a section where they're noted as not specific to any print run but you can check them if you have them and choose to include them. I'm just not sure about that yet but I am a variant collector so it will be included.

Separating complete from CIB is tricky because you could include the dust sleeve and styrofoam block, then it starts getting too busy. And I also have to include an option for Sealed so that makes it even more busy but that may be a FAB, I'm not sure.

I'm going to stick with B = box for now since it'll be a while before I expand into disc consoles but when I get there I have a few options. I can have a separate database table for the items certain games have, since games like Gamma Attack for Atari 2600 doesn't have a box. So that game would be just C (I'm not sure if it has a manual).

I never noticed the I changes to Manual but I thought Instructions was too long for a portrait layout and I always say manual when I'm speaking, I never say instructions. How does everyone feel about a CMB standard for NES? That might enrage some people.