IGNORED

Gradius Galaxies "Asian Version" for the Game Boy Advance, are there more of these releases?

dyer

Ok, I am always interested in anything obscure from "Asian" regions and recently picked this up, it's an Asian version that I didn't know existed until I stumbled across it (I mainly collect for the Mega Drive).

Has a AGB-AGAE ASM code and looks like it was distributed in Hong Kong by Konami. It would appear Konami did a lot in the region (based on the love they showed the Mega Drive).

spacer.png

Some more pics: https://imgur.com/a/GgBqRAj

Thought it was worth sharing. I am interested in finding out a bit more about these type of releases and wondered is there a definitive list of this type of "Asian Version" for the GBA?

Thanks in advance.

**UPDATE**

So here is KOF EX2 Howling Blood.

spacer.png

Some more pics here: https://imgur.com/a/m7lQHrp

So far we have “Asian Versions” of:

1. Gradius Galaxies 

2. King of The Fighters EX2 Howling Blood

Edited by dyer

On 12/16/2022 at 3:59 AM, fcgamer said:

There was one in a Japanese style box (I forgot the name), but it looked bootleggish though there was never a proper consensus. @Tyree_Cooperis another guy you should ask.

unknown.png
I think it was this game you're thinking of, this one is a definite bootleg but
Nintendo Game Boy Advance The King Of Fighters EX 2 Howling Blood, Video  Gaming, Video Games, Nintendo on Carousell
this one looks authentic I think, has original looking stamp and looks similar to OP's cartridge. The only supposed image I could find of a box was this low resolution stock image from this store.
 image.jpeg.59911c5936e71db828ac3fbd431a640b.jpeg

On 12/7/2022 at 3:29 PM, dyer said:

Ok, I am always interested in anything obscure from "Asian" regions and recently picked this up, it's an Asian version that I didn't know existed until I stumbled across it (I mainly collect for the Mega Drive).

Has a AGB-AGAE ASM code and looks like it was distributed in Hong Kong by Konami. It would appear Konami did a lot in the region (based on the love they showed the Mega Drive).

spacer.png

Some more pics: https://imgur.com/a/GgBqRAj

Thought it was worth sharing. I am interested in finding out a bit more about these type of releases and wondered is there a definitive list of this type of "Asian Version" for the GBA?

Thanks in advance.

Also not a game release but they did release AGBs too with this branding, image.png.7754b53c9b851050bc38626d56d085e1.png
Mine isn't CIB (missing the system), but looking online they would have had AUS system stickers, just like HKG Mani AGBs (Extra amusing for this because afaik, Spice Orange is considered to be a Japan exclusive color, but this shows it came out outside of it).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Achoo said:

There is this.  Just a sticker on a US box, but I have seen a few around HK, so I guess they must have been distributed like this.

image.jpeg.0e27059a1e0d9d5dcfa9c48b6c2506dc.jpeg

Some Playstation games were distributed with stickers like this over Japanese versions. 

I guess the issue with sticker versions is it would be easy for fakes to make "new" versions for collectors.

15 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Some Playstation games were distributed with stickers like this over Japanese versions. 

I guess the issue with sticker versions is it would be easy for fakes to make "new" versions for collectors.

Yeah you're probably right.  But atm there is no financial gain for doing so, as all copies I have seen for sale end up selling for the same, if not less than the US version without the sticker.  Maybe in the future that will change, but right now, if you find one it was almost certainly distrubuted by Konami in Hong Kong/Asia.  

My guess is Konami just used a sticker for this as it was an earlier release, but as Gradius came later, they had in house box production up themselves at that point, and so could print a proper box.  Or something like that.

I'd be interested to know what PS1 games you are talking about.  I have quite a few Asian PS1 games myself, but don't have any with a sticker on them.  Most of them got a specifiic Asian release, that come with both a Japanese, and Chinese/English manual.