IGNORED

Need help determining the existence of War Gods strategy guide

Wondering if anyone here has any evidence if a War Gods (N64) strategy guide exists from Prima. There does exist one from Brady Games which is readily available but not one I can find from Prima. I have been trying to figure this out for a while and can’t find any info about one existing. 

Except! I have a mini promotional hint book that may have been an exclusive thing to EB games. Within it there is a coupon for a Prima guide. So Im curious it it ever got truly released or if Prima lost the rights and Brady got it or what happened?

F0EAA65C-389C-484D-9336-B98536F56685.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Damn! thank you so much. Ive never been able to find it for whatever reason only the Brady version. Must be the search terms I use. Ive never tried using secrets/secrets of the game. I should've asked here earlier wouldve saved  me a lot of time

• Like 1

You are indeed welcome!

A really good tool for searching books is abebooks - their advanced search usually lets you ratchet things down pretty well - for this case the ability to put the publisher in as part of the search terms ferreted it out.

It doesn't seem to be super common - I could only find one long ago ebay listing and there are only a couple of listings on abebooks.   There are 4 on amazon which seem to be cheaper than the abebooks ones.

• Thanks 1

Another search tool that is sometimes useful is world cat.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/37608335

It is a pretty limited search if you don't have specifics - this one only came up with the author name and title - it  likely came up with just a title search but the results were too numerous to be useful. The online seach used to be better IIRC.   

If you go to your local library's reference desk they should have fairly sophisticated search abilities for world cat - I know we did when I catalogued books way back when.

(Worldcat is a collection of the records for lots (really lots!) of libraries.)

Here is another copy at Mercari:

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m27420673537/?gclsrc=aw.ds&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17230940812&utm_content=t0&adgroup=142515326629&network=g&device=c&merchant_id=134611514&product_id=m27420673537&product_id=1878172430151&gclid=CjwKCAiAvK2bBhB8EiwAZUbP1KLeLhHKmj_8kFDWaBHtNx4uxA95rKm4Gn3FJaAQcB_ds_LeWbK2FBoCQkIQAvD_BwE

Edited by Tabonga
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

@LeatherRebel5150 do you have an extensive strategy guide collection? If so do you have any good resources that you use? I collect a lot of them when I can and am specifically interested in Nintendo, Prima, and Brady guides from N64 era and going backwards.

I have a pretty big guide collection for N64 specifically. In terms of purchasing resources its been ebay and amazon. In terms of information there was a thread on here listening all of the strategy guides for each system. Though Im fairly positive a few on this list do not exist as stated. (Gex 3 from Millenium books for example)

I dont know about other eras of strategy guides but with N64 it seems so random when it comes to what is available.

Some seem like they’re readily available because you’ll see a few listed and then one day they’re all gone and you don’t seem them for months. A good example of this was NBA Showtime -NBA on NBC  from Brady games. Had a listing on amazon forever and I put it off because its a cheap sports game guide. Then one day it was gone out of stock and it took 6 months for one to pop up again on ebay. 

Other times you think something is hard to come by, like my initial post with War Gods, and it’s apparently easily obtainable but just doesn’t come up with a basic “war gods strategy guide” search. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Other times you think something is hard to come by, like my initial post with War Gods, and it’s apparently easily obtainable but just doesn’t come up with a basic “war gods strategy guide” search. 

The problem is that you usually get a surfeit of information with the less specifics you have - with the war gods strategy guide search you get lots of extraneous stuff such as god of war related things.

47 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

The problem is that you usually get a surfeit of information with the less specifics you have - with the war gods strategy guide search you get lots of extraneous stuff such as god of war related things.

Very true, there is a lot of extra stuff when I searched the way I do

52 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Very true, there is a lot of extra stuff when I searched the way I do

The search engines are good for a lot of stuff - but most of them will not restrict what turns up to what you put in.    Even the abebooks advanced brought up some god of war prima guides along with what was wanted - forunately not very many.

7 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

@LeatherRebel5150 do you have an extensive strategy guide collection? If so do you have any good resources that you use? I collect a lot of them when I can and am specifically interested in Nintendo, Prima, and Brady guides from N64 era and going backwards.

You can check out the lists I've built through here.  I've been trying to keep the most up to date information possible on everything early and guide related:

• Love 1

6 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I have a pretty big guide collection for N64 specifically. In terms of purchasing resources its been ebay and amazon. In terms of information there was a thread on here listening all of the strategy guides for each system. Though Im fairly positive a few on this list do not exist as stated. (Gex 3 from Millenium books for example)

The Gex 3 from Millenium is a harder one to come by but it is real. I need to dig mine out to get you a picture.  Millenium did a very short run of guides overall, six in total.  I can't confirm the 7th that is advertised as I've never seen it IRL.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.walmart.com%2Fip%2FGex-3-Deep-Cover-Gecko-Official-Guide%2F877361&psig=AOvVaw1KiPJpYGL3UnLlaIh5GAv7&ust=1668119109815000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA8QjRxqFwoTCMiwqoqSovsCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAK

12 hours ago, acidjaguar said:

The Gex 3 from Millenium is a harder one to come by but it is real. I need to dig mine out to get you a picture.  Millenium did a very short run of guides overall, six in total.  I can't confirm the 7th that is advertised as I've never seen it IRL.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.walmart.com%2Fip%2FGex-3-Deep-Cover-Gecko-Official-Guide%2F877361&psig=AOvVaw1KiPJpYGL3UnLlaIh5GAv7&ust=1668119109815000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA8QjRxqFwoTCMiwqoqSovsCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAK

Ive seen that guide, but it only shows the Playstation logo. There are a handful Ive seen like that on your list. Ones, that don’t to seem to be covering N64, only Playstation. Ive only been interested in ones that list N64 as a covered console, even if the guide would work fine for the game regardless. 

From your list these seem to only call out Playstation and not N64 on their cover somewhere:

Ready to Rumble Boxing Round 2 (Prima)

Resident Evil 2 (Prima)

Xena Warrior Princess: Talisman of Fate (doesn't exist? Playstation game has different game or at least different title)

Gex 3 (Millennium)

I could totally be wrong as I was with War Gods here. But I just haven’t seen any pictures of any of these where they list N64 as a covered console and Ive been looking for a long while now. If you have them with that info I would definitely like to see it so I know if Im missing it or know where to look on the book to see it somewhere. 

On a different note. In your Prima section I think you may be missing a variant for Mortal Kombat Trilogy. There is a “Secrets of the Game” cover and a standard Prima cover. Separate from the Kompanion

3AFE336B-B163-4832-9AF3-D16495AB743F.png

C91F6162-E9D7-415C-9491-C934D5BEB9F7.png

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Ive seen that guide, but it only shows the Playstation logo. There are a handful Ive seen like that on your list. Ones, that don’t to seem to be covering N64, only Playstation. Ive only been interested in ones that list N64 as a covered console, even if the guide would work fine for the game regardless. 

From your list these seem to only call out Playstation and not N64 on their cover somewhere:

Ready to Rumble Boxing Round 2 (Prima)

Resident Evil 2 (Prima)

Xena Warrior Princess: Talisman of Fate (doesn't exist? Playstation game has different game or at least different title)

Gex 3 (Millennium)

I could totally be wrong as I was with War Gods here. But I just haven’t seen any pictures of any of these where they list N64 as a covered console and Ive been looking for a long while now. If you have them with that info I would definitely like to see it so I know if Im missing it or know where to look on the book to see it somewhere. 

On a different note. In your Prima section I think you may be missing a variant for Mortal Kombat Trilogy. There is a “Secrets of the Game” cover and a standard Prima cover. Separate from the Kompanion

I was able to find my Gex 3 and you are correct.  It is only listed as Playstation ... bummer.  I will edit the list and check these other guides too!  Glad to see people at least referencing them and questioning my sanity 😁  Much needed. 

I've looked in to a few of the others and I do believe your points are valid.  I will be sure to update the list to reflect that.  Thank you for pointing them out!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acidjaguar said:

I was able to find my Gex 3 and you are correct.  It is only listed as Playstation ... bummer.  I will edit the list and check these other guides too!  Glad to see people at least referencing them and questioning my sanity 😁  Much needed. 

I've looked in to a few of the others and I do believe your points are valid.  I will be sure to update the list to reflect that.  Thank you for pointing them out!

Thank you for the list! I wouldn’t have even started down this road without it. 

As a general statement anyone going for these and is looking for N64 specifically needs to pay pretty close attention. A number of the have both a Playstation, PC, Dreamcast, PS2, and N64 versions. Sometimes they’re combined into one guide, a lot of times not. For Instance Quake 2 from Prima has two versions. The one for the N64 has a specific cover. I learned this the hard way with Hexen as I ended up with a PC guide.  Luckily it wad cheap and one of my first guide purchases so I learned early to look at more details for the rest.

@acidjaguarif you ever want to add pictures, and don’t have the guides yourself, pm me and I’ll provide what I can

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Love 1