IGNORED

Rubber vs. Plastic Start/Select buttons. Which do you prefer?

austin532

Poll  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Rubber
    • Plastic

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graphics Team · Posted

I think plastic start / select buttons are better than rubber ones since the input feels more reliable and "tactile".

Although - they generally don't need the same twitch responsiveness of action-buttons, so I guess it ultimately doesn't affect much.

-CasualCart

I attribute rubberized Start/Select buttons with older consoles (NES/SNES/TG-16) and I think I prefer them in that context. Maybe it is nothing other than familiarity/nostalgia but there's something about the way those buttons felt that agrees with me.

That said, I don't think any modern controllers would be improved for using rubberized buttons instead of hard plastic ones.

I guess that's a lot of words to say that I don't think I have a meaningful preference other than "things are fine the way they are".

In the end it may not really matter I guess, but rubber.

When you're going at it, having a different feel to it, something very obvious helps.  Some buttons have gone to hard with a tiny plastic braille dot on top so you can notice if you get used to it that it's like a secondary button.  Older systems I'm thinking late 90s (GBC) and back went this route in general, post that point it went the other way.

I don't think it was for a lack of enjoying that but the ridiculously cheap plastic buttons cost less and you always got to cut corners anywhere possible so they got phased out.

Usually the hard buttons were meant as your primary action, most used, will last the longest without being beat up.  Look at the NES controller 35 years later as a testament to that.  Then your secondary stuff largely just for a menu, selecting on the title/option screens, and pausing/starting a game buttons.  They do hold up, but often you'll find them worn down, chipped, or some little brat years ago or a dog chewed on it and little pieces of broken off so they do hold up a bit less well.