IGNORED

Death Teleportation. Are you still afraid of death?

phart010

If we don't destroy one of them, and I'm not saying this is necessarily a good reason, but we've got huge potential for fraud, to start. On top of which (again I'm not saying it's ideal, just considering practically where we stand today) our society just isn't equipped to deal with clones. Like, driver's license, to start. Does one get a new ID with "v2" appended to the name? Do they split their belongings in a divorce-like settlement? Job (like the twins in "Moving" starring Richard Pryor 🤣)? et cetera

1 hour ago, Link said:

Did you read the OP?

Not since it was originally posted most of a week ago.  After running around doing last minute prep for and then running a birthday party for my 4 year old this weekend, then dealing with Fall Break for my 8 year old, at least parts of my brain are currently mush.

Ok, so rereading the first bit of the OP, yeah, it incinerates you.  Which leaves the latter part of my last response still relevant and unaddressed.  Is it your choice?  Is it up to whoever makes the laws?

So in most descriptions of the idea, it's generally presented as an agreement to using the technology. The aim is not copying, it's travel. And therein lies the question. Are you willing?

Who would be? It's literally suicide. You-you doesn't get anything that New-you does. As for why, see my previous reply: who gets the territory? You gonna share it with yourself? (Some peoples' romantic partners might enjoy that 😅) And, what legal implications and consequences are there? How does the suddenly newly synthesized person hold a place in the world without taking said place from the prior entity? There's two of you, now what if somebody replicates themself a hundred times? What happens when a bad actor nation uses this for their military? 

It's just quieter and tidier to kill.