IGNORED

Sega Saturn won't read memory cards

Hey all, 

My Saturn won't seem to read memory cards. There are 3 I've had for a long time and I can't get it to read any of them. Thing is, I never actually used them, so I don't know if they actually work. I've heard the Saturn is fickle and wondered if anyone has any tips on getting this to work. I'd hate to rely on the internal system battery save. 

I also ordered a "new" action replay memory card from eBay to see if that works. I haven't had a chance to get an actual Sega brand Saturn memory card yet, I've heard to try to use one of those instead of this interact brand so, idk.

If anyone has advice or info, I'd love to hear it!

Hello there!  This is a trick that might help you, but there's definitely a bit of trial and error.  Try putting the cart all the way in, then slowly pull it out about a millimeter.  The trick is to have the cart just slightly from being pushed in completely.  Try it and see, and if you're still having problems, just power off the Saturn and try moving the cart a slight bit and try again.  The cart connector on Saturn's are kind of trash and very sensitive.

Edited by Soma
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the actual slots for the memory cards are prone to failure and/or are extremely fickle. The Action Replay cards are also poorly built so determining if it's the card or the slot that's failed can be difficult. I, too, would love a solution here as these have always been a headache for me. Or is it as simple as paying up for an OEM memory cart?

Thanks all. I was able to get the action replay cart to work by putting a piece of cardboard behind it, which has sturdied the memory card and I assume, made sure the contacts are pressing correctly. However, the memory card still doesn't appear in the saturns internal memory manager. The only thing that works is when the action replay menu boots, I can manage the memory from there, moving things from the saturn to the memory card and vice versa. I DO have to have a working battery in the saturn for this to happen, which I didn't realize at first.  

• Like 1