IGNORED

I need help with this "sealed" Famicom game. What am I looking at?

RH

I need help with this "sealed" Famicom game. What am I looking at?

Ok, I'm well aware that Famicom/SFC games were not shipped shrink wrapped from Nintendo.  Regardless, I know that some of you guys have keen eyes about what is and isn't new and if I understand what I've heard correctly, some games were shrink wrapped, just not by Nintendo but by major retailers or distributors.

Anyway, here is a seller selling a "New/Sealed Star Wars" for the Famicom.  I'd like to know by you guys opinion if this does look to be new old stock.  I see there are Japanese stickers that kind of look old, and I see that the tape on the wrapping is yellowed like it could easily be +20 years old.

But is this legit?  Is it likely new (as in unused or opened)?  Can you tell me if this is original, retailer wrapping and what do the stickers say?  Most important... is this a fake?

I really don't know what I'm looking at.  If this is legit, I might be interested.  If the celo is period-original and from a retailer, I might be inclined to keep it.  When in doubt, I always assume the worst but I figured I'd ask just in case.  This might go for $500, which I wouldn't even be interested in, but a truly new copy for $100.  I might be able to swing for that.

Thanks guys.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325192401122

Just now, Mega Tank said:

Dropping a direct link to an item may add more eyes to the item. I suggest just clipping and adding pics in the future. Good luck.

I hear you, but I don't really care that much.  It is on eBay.  It's not like it's hidden.

I'm mean thanks, and I have done that before, but I'm a bit more curious about the wrapping and on the fence about the item.

It's just a store that packaged it nicely in plastic. It was never sealed. CIB Namcot games are listed as new a lot. Since they were never sealed, there's no difference between new and CIB anyway. Maybe if you take one out of a case pack and never open it there's still a whisper of the 1980s vintage air inside the box.

The doubly bad news is that the sticker on the wrap is a Book Off sticker that tells you it's also listed on Yahoo Auctions, so doubt you'll get 1980s air from this one unless it's had an online listing for the past 40 years.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

It's just a store that packaged it nicely in plastic. It was never sealed. CIB Namcot games are listed as new a lot. Since they were never sealed, there's no difference between new and CIB anyway. Maybe if you take one out of a case pack and never open it there's still a whisper of the 1980s vintage air inside the box.

The doubly bad news is that the sticker on the wrap is a Book Off sticker that tells you it's also listed on Yahoo Auctions, so doubt you'll get 1980s air from this one unless it's had an online listing for the past 40 years.

Ok, thanks.  These were some of the details I was hoping to hear.  I really did expect it to really be "CIB" and as both you and I mentioned, I know they weren't sent sealed. But, if this was a 'major retailer" that did wrap their games, I wanted. to know for sure.

I think I'll give this one a pass then.  That extra celo makes it tough to know the real condition and what's all inside anyway.

Just now, JamesRobot said:

Sealed... with Scotch tape.  It is pretty though.  Dig that metallic artwork. 

Oh, definitely.  From searching eBay, there appear to be two versions.  I just like the way this looks.  If it's CIB, I'm going to want it to be in great shape, but I also want it 100%. complete, which means I need to see the contents.

• Agree 1