IGNORED

Raggedy cart edge connector dangerous? Whadda you think?

OptOut

I noticed a pretty rough, jaggedy edge on this cart PCB for my Megadrive:

IMG20220518142029.jpg.c18676d0add127bb6287a295d0c8465c.jpg

Running my finger over the edge, it's super scratchy. I've noticed a few carts with a slightly rough edge like this, but this I probably the worst I've seen.

For reference a normal looking one is more like this:

IMG20220518142255.jpg.9c422eca6707681ca067a85b74236e15.jpg

So, my question is should I expect any additional risk of damage to the pin connector in my system by playing this game?

Obviously I know the risk is slight, seeing as the jagged edge slots in between the connector, and should only make minimal contact with it during cartridge insertion. But, I am generally risk adverse, so I just want to size up the potential with a few more opinions.

Whadda you reckon?

• Like 1

No not dangerous.  Depending on your feelings about the cart, you could easily file it down, its just silicon or fiberglass or something similar. As long as you dont hit any metal, contacts or traces you will be fine. 

hold the file parallel to the edge and hit it 2-3 times and it should be flat. 

I bet its left over from the manufacturing process when they snapped the pcbs apart. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

fingernail not cut evenly, especially on the right edge, i'm not impressed man

I bite em.

1 hour ago, CMR said:

I've seen this a few times with bootleg carts.  Are you sure this one is legit?

Yeah this is definitely legit. I've got a ton of bootleg Megadrive carts, and ironically this has a worse cut than any of em, lol! 😅

4 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

No not dangerous.  Depending on your feelings about the cart, you could easily file it down, its just silicon or fiberglass or something similar. As long as you dont hit any metal, contacts or traces you will be fine. 

hold the file parallel to the edge and hit it 2-3 times and it should be flat. 

I bet its left over from the manufacturing process when they snapped the pcbs apart. 

Yeah I'm thinking so too.

I remembered that I sometimes use a fiberglass pen on some really corroded pin edges on carts to get them clean and working again, and that process is WAY rougher on the games than inserting this one game into my system once or twice would be. So yeah probably playing this game would actually cause like zero damage.

Thanks for the insight! 😉