IGNORED

Legit label?

Nintegageo

Was going through my GB games and wondering whether or not this label is legit. The slight white line at the cut and the little white (glue?) crystals are why not sure. Looks as though a price tag or something was removed which coulda caused the crystals or had to glue that corner. Thanks guys.

20220422_115126.jpg

Been a stretch as I don't own it but that does seem to look right, never was a quality look to that one. 😄

It would help if it was of quite a bit higher resolution, but more so, not fuzzy but sharp.  The reseller dkoldies has a nice clean image of the game cart sticker, you could compare it to that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nintegageo said:

Gameboy labels have traditionally in a vast majority of cases a double digit code(or it can be number number letter usually an A) pressed hard into the label, stamped, dented into the label.  Fakes 99/100 times don't bother doing something so mindlessly easy to increase the quality of their copies.

@Tanooki ahh, interesting. None on this label, though not seeing any on the dkoldies or vgmuseum website pictures.

Edit: okay think the whole thing is a counterfeit 😢 noOoo. Won't actually cost me $ though the game is now so expensive that I prolly never purchase the thing.

Edited by Nintegageo
to cry

7 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

@Tanooki ahh, interesting. None on this label, though not seeing any on the dkoldies or vgmuseum website pictures.

Edit: okay think the whole thing is a counterfeit 😢 noOoo. Won't actually cost me $ though the game is now so expensive that I prolly never purchase the thing.

That's too bad, I'd ask to see but you'll always get a better view.  Of course a basic bit kit would resolve the issue too.

You're right it's one of the more oddball GB games that have an utterly stupid price attached to it.  It's not like it has some amazing pedigree of lineage (Kid Dracula) or company (Sunsoft) tied to it.  I gave in i bought a 1:1 external plastic/screw/sticker clone of Aerofighters SNES for like $12 shipped from aliexpress as the $1000-1500 price can suck it so I understand entirely.

this should definitely have a stamp code, made in japan, not from acclaim/china/chn or one of those series without stamp code, so i would find another copy and see with my own eyes that it has a stamp code. if yours doesn't, then it's 100% sure to be a repro label 🙂

have you checked the board, is that legit at least?

@Tanooki @Tyree_Cooper Yeah, I opened the game to check once had determined the label was sketchy. The chips and pcb are just generic so the whole thing is a bootleg. Managed to contact the old seller and he gave me the money so the real problem is that yeah, I prolly won't own the game as the price is just nuts. I appreciate your guys' help!

• Like 1

It looks right when compared to mine, although mine is in pretty garbage condition.  There should be a number stamped on the label somewhere though...on mine it's pretty faint so it may just not show up in the picture.  For reference, my copy has the number 22 stamped under the "Official Game Boy Game Pak" logo. Again, very faintly, I almost didn't see it.  Still, if there's any doubt, just open the cart up. 99 times out of 100 you can spot a fake instantly from that.

• Agree 1

On 4/24/2022 at 12:11 PM, Nintegageo said:

If you have a security bit, crack it open and check the board.  I have an interest in looking for bootleg GB carts from the original GB era.

Back when. I started, I picked up a yellow cart Turn and Burn that had a straight-up EEPROM shoved in it and bulged and was hard to get in a GB.  I gave it away back in 2017 on my first NA Secret Santa just trying to add some oddities to my package as bonus material, but looking back now, I've never found a bootleg from the 90s.

I say all that to say, if this it appears to be old on the inside and is a bootleg, I might be interested in it regardless.  I assume you're asking because you don't have a security bit but since you can get one for $2 off of Amazon and they work on about 4 or 5 different types of carts, you might as well pick one up.

51 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

This was it. The OG owner wanted it once I told him, sorry @RH though not sure whether this an old 90s one.

20220424_150022.jpg

Ah man, thanks for the update.  I can't tell how old this is.  I need to get some modern bootlegs for comparison but if I had to guess, this might be form the late-90s which is close enough.

It amazes me the games that were bootlegged back then.  Not the popular stuff.  I guess these companies didn't want to get Nintendo's attention (or any of the BIG 3rd party devs) so they bootlegged this cheaper stuff. Funny, now it's old and I'm sure it's been bootlegged bunch now too.

https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/272/27C1000-10-pdf.php

Chip is from around 2003 roughly

1m-bit [128k x 8] CMOS Eprom

So that's about a 20 year old chip there because that document is rev1.3 from 2003.  Depending when 1.0-1.2 came out there you go roughly speaking.  That bootleg is 20 years old.