IGNORED

WTT - SONY PVM/BVMs Grail Monitors for Grail NES/SNES Games

Vidarr2000

I have a variety of professional Sony CRT monitors, all of which have RGB input.  They are high quality, highly valued grail monitors.  I'm starting to ask around to see if anyone would like to trade for high value games.  First, the monitor listing:

1. Sony BVM-D32
  2. Sony BVM-A24 (will have the CastleMania reproduction 68x rgb input card)
  3. Sony BVM-20F1U
  4. Sony BVM-D20F1U
  5. Sony PVM-20L5

I'm looking for any combinations of these:

• NES
    • Stadium Events (Cart only)
    • Little Samson (CIB)
    • Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak (CIB)
    • Panic Restaurant (CIB)
  • SNES
    • Aero Fighters (CIB)
    • Hagane (CIB)
    • Pocky and Rocky 2 (CIB)
    • Castlevania Dracula X (CIB)
    • Final Fight Guy (CIB)
    • Super Turrican 2 (CIB)
  • Fiber Optic Animated Signs
    • World of Nintendo
    • N64
    • Super Nintendo

I live in the Washington DC area, so I'm willing to drive to meet to do a swap.  The D32 is 210 lbs alone, so shipping would require pallet freight if shipping is needed.  Again, I'm just exploring right now to see who might be interested.

IMG-0956.jpg

Edited by Vidarr2000
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to WTT - SONY PVM/BVMs Grail Monitors for Grail NES/SNES Games
27 minutes ago, Vidarr2000 said:

Very cool, how long ago was that?  I haven't really been following the consumer Trinitron market.

That was years ago. But I picked up a 13m20 a few months ago for $5 as well. I’m in a pretty rural area so I can catch nice consumer sets pretty cheap. I have like 7….I think, 20” Toshiba af, 20” tau, three 13” Disney theme crts…

how’s my 13fm13 looking any tips? It’s composite only but I don’t mind. I have some hdretrovision cables that I use on the component sets and they are nice.

22F86BD8-719F-42F1-A3C1-2B36BE9CAED7.jpeg

Edited by docile tapeworm

Ok it's time to ask a dumb question I've just been too afraid to ask for the past 6 years I've been seriously collecting--what's the difference between a PVM and a BVM?

I wish I had something to trade.  I have some nice, commercial CRTs but no PVM/BVMs.  I'd only want a big 21-32" one anyway, and I seriously doubt I could ever afford it.

15 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

That was years ago. But I picked up a 13m20 a few months ago for $5 as well. I’m in a pretty rural area so I can catch nice consumer sets pretty cheap. I have like 7….I think, 20” Toshiba af, 20” tau, three 13” Disney theme crts…

how’s my 13fm13 looking any tips? It’s composite only but I don’t mind. I have some hdretrovision cables that I use on the component sets and they are nice.

22F86BD8-719F-42F1-A3C1-2B36BE9CAED7.jpeg

It’s really hard to tell if any fine tuning on convergence is needed but it looks ok.  The color saturation looks good.  Also, photos are difficult to calibrate to present a photo that’s identical to the display image.  Do you have the 240p Test Suite to show some test patterns?  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RH said:

Ok it's time to ask a dumb question I've just been too afraid to ask for the past 6 years I've been seriously collecting--what's the difference between a PVM and a BVM?

I wish I had something to trade.  I have some nice, commercial CRTs but no PVM/BVMs.  I'd only want a big 21-32" one anyway, and I seriously doubt I could ever afford it.

PVM = Professional Video Monitor

BVM = Broadcast Video Monitor

PVMs are like a Corvette or a Porsche while BVMs are like a Lambo or Ferrari

From what I understand PVMs were around 10k MSRP while a BVM was 20-30k.  If you wanted the absolute best picture quality with all the features and setting BVMs were it.  Mostly only used in actual broadcast TV studios.  They are also very hard to work on, and expensive, if something needs repair,  Just like a Lambo or Ferrari.  But they are the absolute top of the line best picture quality possible.

Edited by tbone3969
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tbone3969 said:

PVM = Professional Video Monitor

BVM = Broadcast Video Monitor

PVMs are like a Corvette or a Porsche while BVMs are like a Lambo or Ferrari

From what I understand PVMs were around 10k MSRP while a BVM was 20-30k.  If you wanted the absolute best picture quality with all the features and setting BVMs were it.  Mostly only used in actual broadcast TV studios.  They are also very hard to work on, and expensive, if something needs repair,  Just like a Lambo or Ferrari.  But the are the absolute top of the line best picture quality possible.

This.  To be more specific, BVMs were I tended for film production editing, where fine adjustments need to be made on white balance, color, geometry, and color convergence.  Also, most BVM inputs are modular via different cards.  You can really customize your input/output configuration way more than with most PVMs.  Lastly, BVM picture tubes have a higher TV line count - 800 or more TV Lines, which gives high definition. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vidarr2000 said:

It’s really hard to tell if any fine tuning on convergence is needed but it looks ok.  The color saturation looks good.  Also, photos are difficult to calibrate to present a photo that’s identical to the display image.  Do you have the 240p Test Suite to show some test patterns?  

I have a 240p test suite but I don’t really know how to use it. I have the geometry set pretty good via service  menu. It still has some convergence issues in the bottom left like “pin” needs adjusted but the other three corners are good. I don’t have an eye for the color adjustment or the sharpness.

Edited by docile tapeworm

1 hour ago, Vidarr2000 said:

This.  To be more specific, BVMs were I tended for film production editing, where fine adjustments need to be made on white balance, color, geometry, and color convergence.  Also, most BVM inputs are modular via different cards.  You can really customize your input/output configuration way more than with most PVMs.  Lastly, BVM picture tubes have a higher TV line count - 800 or more TV Lines, which gives high definition. 

Oh yes, forgot about the higher line count on the BVMs.  Some PVMs do have the higher line count though, the HR models..  Like my 20M4U.  You will see a little "HR" symbol on the upper left front corner of the TV.  Boy I love that TV.  I can't even fathom how good a BVM must look.  Never saw one in person.