IGNORED

Is this normal for Captain Skyhawk? Reset button.

mbd39

7 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Mine reset at the falling letters intro. That title screen music is one of the greatest of all times imo shame it doesn’t loop ❤️

Wow, how odd. I wonder what's happening with my NES or if it's the cartridge. I have a top loader, btw.

Edited by mbd39

I think that this is a top loader issue due to how the system handles reset. Apparently on top loaders and the original Famicom, the button does not reset the PPU, only the CPU. I tried Captain Skyhawk on an emulator that can disable PPU reset and had similar issues with Captain Skyhawk but the game won't even reset at all, while other roms work fine. It might be a quirk with how this game was programmed.

Others with top loaders should try Captain Skyhawk and see if the reset button is funny with this game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I think that this is a top loader issue due to how the system handles reset. Apparently on top loaders and the original Famicom, the button does not reset the PPU, only the CPU. I tried Captain Skyhawk on an emulator that can disable PPU reset and had similar issues with Captain Skyhawk but the game won't even reset at all, while other roms work fine. It might be a quirk with how this game was programmed.

Others with top loaders should try Captain Skyhawk and see if the reset button is funny with this game.

Not to put more potential flies in the ointment, but another possibility could be that you've got a different (earlier?) revision of the game than @docile tapeworm has, which could explain the different/odd behavior.  What you've spelled out regarding the tech of the top loader as well as what you've played with in an emulator tracks, but since you're not getting the exact same result in the emulator, I put forth that it's possible that different rom revisions behave differently.  It's kind of rare for NES games to identify which version is on the cart being played, so it's likely the only way this sort of thing could be answered for sure would be via a rom dump and comparison.  Still, food for thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

It's kind of rare for NES games to identify which version is on the cart being played, so it's likely the only way this sort of thing could be answered for sure would be via a rom dump and comparison.  Still, food for thought.

An NES game with revised code will have an embossed "A" on the back of the cartridge, and one or both of the ROM chips will have a -1 instead of a -0 if you open up the cart.  That being said, MBD's cart would probably be the unrevised -0 code, since the revision would exist to erradicate glitches such as these...

• Like 2