IGNORED

Anyone have any information on Vintage Game Boy (DMG) screen replacements circa 1988-1992?

RH

Google is not working for me, even using image search.  I recall when I was a kid there were screen replacements you could buy for the original DMG-model Game Boy.  Most of these were "totally 80s!" graphics with bright colors and black and white zig-zag patterns and such.  I think the same company also made a replacement that was similar to the original "Dot Matrix Graphics" screen.

I know these existed, in the past several years I've been collecting, I think I've seen one DMG on eBay with one of those old screens but now I can't find anything about it.  I wont' say they were popular, but I know they were popular enough because I recall seeing them in some store (likely a Wal-Mart or K-Mart) and I know that of the many kids that brought Game Boys to school, at least one or two kids replaced their screens.

Does anyone have any of these?  Do you have any in original packaging with details?  I can't find any information or images on them, and I think I'd like to collect them all if I can find those details.

• Like 1

Ok, after a bit more research, I've found what might be and image of one of these screens on a GB.  Someone was asking about this on Reddit.  Only mention I found of it, and the only way I found this was adding "NUBY" to my Google searches.

I only think this is one because that looks familiar from my childhood. I seem to recall there were 3-4 options.

image.png.7d53890b67f8e82b3eac27dd677b734a.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Strange reminds me more of an overlay I saw Nintendo did in the day primarily remembered for the NES controller stickers we oddly call skins now.

I think I vaguely recall those too.  Probably the same company. Paint splatter, black/white zig-zags with colorful geometric patterns.  Those were the "radical" looks that were put in front of us as a kid.  I think their might have been a hot-pink screen but that could be wrong.  I have only seen any of these maybe twice in the past two decades, but I've not seriously been looking for them.  I'd love to find one (or all!) of them in package.

• Like 1

I remember those too, and still see them sometimes on ebay. Not sure where you would hope to find results on every one in existence. At least you know that, given their time capsule designs, it's unlikely that the more recent retro aftermarket boom has bothered to make copies, so I'd expect anything you find is legit.