IGNORED

Incredible 1990 Sony Metamorphis HDTV demo (first ever?) -- featured in later 1995 PS1 Developer's Demo

Estil

So back in 1995 when the PS1 first came to the US, there was among other demo discs this one that showed off the kinds of things the PS1 can do:

Now, people must've thought it was amazing how a mere gaming console could play such good quality video at 2:41!  But if only they knew where (and when!) that video originally came from and how amazing and groundbreaking it REALLY was!  I think this might be the very first (or at least among the first) ever HDTV videos published?

PS: About when was the earliest in the US people could go to a TV/electronics store or something and at least be able to see what HDTV was like?  Like, back in 1993 for example could you in the US see a demonstration of this in HD?

Edited by Estil
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 10:15 AM, twiztor said:

there was an independent pro wrestling show taped in HD back in 1994. Wiki article about it. This was the first i remember hearing about HDTV. I don't believe the footage has ever surfaced, although you can find fancams if you really want to watch the event (it's not worth it). 

I also remember seeing on YouTube the first ever MLB game on HDTV as well.  I might post it here a little later.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I was just reading my local newspaper's archive (11/26/91...you know, 30 years ago like Back to the Future?) and sure enough, it shows a picture of a Japanese man watching this very Sony Metamorphis demo video on a store's HDTV.  It was at this time the first full scale HDTV programing was offered (eight hours/day by satellite).  If you wanted your very own HDTV, it would've set you back $30,000 (double that in today's money!)!!

I bet this must've been just as if not more mind blowing and magical as the ones in the 50s/60s who saw color TV for the first time...

Edited by Estil

• 1 year later...

I remember seeing footage of a Japanese Bomberman tournament, all running on plasma HDTVs (1035i Hi-Vision), in 1993. 

Found info: https://ultimatehistoryvideogames.jimdofree.com/hi-ten-bomberman

The article says the custom machines with game costed  ~$200,000 each.

Edited by nesmaster14