Book #4 September 2020  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a book!

• The Shing by Stephen King 
    • A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony
    • Hyperion by Dan Simmons
    • I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison

This poll is closed to new votes

Alrighty, this poll will run from today through Tuesday 8/31 midnight. 

Getting closer to October I included a spooky book as a choice. 

Sorry to have been mia, but life events are concluding  and I am back. 😁

A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony 

spacer.png

Xanth was the enchanted land where magic ruled - where every citizen had a special spell only he could cast. It was a land of centaurs and dragons and basilisks.

For Bink of North Village, however, Xanth was no fairy tale. He alone had no magic. And unless he got some - and got some fast! - he would be exiled. Forever!

But the Good Magician Humfrey was convinced that Bink did indeed have magic. In fact, both Beauregard the genie and the magic wall chart insisted that Bink had magic. Magic as powerful as any possessed by the King or by Good Magician Humfrey - or even by the Evil Magician Trent

Be that as it may, no one could fathom the nature of Bink's very special magic. Bink was in despair. This was even worse than having no magic at all..and he would still be exiled!

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

spacer.png

On the world called Hyperion, beyond the law of the Hegemony of Man, there waits the creature called the Shrike. There are those who worship it. There are those who fear it. And there are those who have vowed to destroy it. In the Valley of the Time Tombs, where huge, brooding structures move backward through time, the Shrike waits for them all. On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope—and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.

I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison

image.png.0ad740923490c7dfcf378bd6919bebab.png

First published in 1967 and re-issued in 1983, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream contains seven stories with copyrights ranging from 1958 through 1967. This edition contains the original introduction by Theodore Sturgeon and the original foreword by Harlan Ellison, along with a brief update comment by Ellison that was added in the 1983 edition. Among Ellison's more famous stories, two consistently noted as among his very best ever are the title story and the volume's concluding one, Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes.

Since Ellison himself strongly resists categorization of his work, we won't call them science fiction, or SF, or speculative fiction or horror or anything else except compelling reading experiences that are sui generis. They could only have been written by Harlan Ellison and they are incomparably original.

CONTENTS
"I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream"
"Big Sam Was My Friend"
"Eyes of Dust"
"World of the Myth"
"Lonelyache"
"Delusion for Dragonslayer"
"Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes"

Since we are getting close to spooky season:

The Shing by Stephen King 

image.png.cafad534080973fc02d6f111338f5d07.png

Jack Torrance's new job at the Overlook Hotel is the perfect chance for a fresh start. As the off-season caretaker at the atmospheric old hotel, he'll have plenty of time to spend reconnecting with his family and working on his writing. But as the harsh winter weather sets in, the idyllic location feels ever more remote...and more sinister. And the only one to notice the strange and terrible forces gathering around the Overlook is Danny Torrance, a uniquely gifted five-year-old. 

I haven't had time to keep up with the book club but I voted The Shining as well because it's a great book. Unfortunately after reading it I could understand why Stephen King didn't like Kubrick's vision of it but the TV mini series did a good job of fixing that I thought. Everyone should read it even if it doesn't end up getting picked.

38 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I haven't had time to keep up with the book club but I voted The Shining as well because it's a great book. Unfortunately after reading it I could understand why Stephen King didn't like Kubrick's vision of it but the TV mini series did a good job of fixing that I thought. Everyone should read it even if it doesn't end up getting picked.

I'll add a few more spooky choices in October ☺️

• Like 1

• The topic was unlocked