IGNORED

Deciphering Cartridge Publisher Codes

Hello all, 

Hoping there are some super sleuths that are on here that can help me determine a few different things that have plagued me over the years that I would really LOVE to finally understand and put to rest.

On the front of Nintendo 64 cartridges in the center towards the very bottom you will always see a "Model#" which is NUS-006 and is the model # for all cartridges. However, on occasion I have seen "Model# NUS-006(-01)" and was wondering if anyone knew what the "(-01)" denoted? I know that a "-1" on the next line down after the "USA" denotes that it's a player's choice copy or in the case of pokemon snap that a revision to the artwork in the style of the ESRB has changed, but this would more likely denote a change in the design of the cartridge.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_1281.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, drxandy said:

The (-01) is the designated code for a revised version, so if the front label has that code then check the stamp on the back label to figure out what revision it is. Usually if it has an an A it's the 1.1.

You learn something new every day. So you're telling me I'd they updated the ROM, they also updated the labels, beyond the stamp on the rear label?

Star Trek Wow GIF

I appreciate the response and follow up, but still not 100% certain what the difference is on all of this because you're showing a (-01) 1080 PCB and then a non (-01) Mario 64 PCB.

I'm not as familiar with the board layouts on N64 as I am NES but is it safe to say a 1080 NUS-006 will have a "NUS-01A-02" board or something similar where as a 1080 NUS-006(-01) will have a "NUS-03A-01"?

16 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Oops sorry @silentshadow56  it's just the original design's pcb is that thin little guy and the (-01) revision is like double the size pcb with room for 2 rom banks. Note the u1 and u2 on the 1080 pcb. That revised board allowed for bigger games down the line.

Again, I can't stress enough that I really appreciate the insight you've been able to provide, but because it's not apples to apples (1080 and 1080 -01) I want to make certain I'm grasping this correctly. Obviously they wouldn't have made any revision to the game on the bigger PCB, but is it to assume that Nintendo just moved to manufacturing these larger PCBs and stopped producing the smaller ones? So even though the size wasn't necessary for a game like 1080 it was just simply easier to give it the larger PCB and just denote as such on the front label?

I did have one or two more questions in regards to the code on the front of the label that I wanted to see if maybe you didn't have the answer? Would it be okay to send you a PM?

Yeah possibly, when production runs end they would likely switch over, maybe it's the type of chips that were cheaper. I must admit I'm a little rusty on my 64 knowledge because its been a long time since I was heavy into the details for it and have been cramming my brain with original Xbox inane variants but it's still in there somewhere. Feel free to pm, I don't mind chatting here or there. Honestly this might help someone else because it's not very easy to Google the type of info that was widely available 10yrs ago.

11 hours ago, drxandy said:

Honestly this might help someone else because it's not very easy to Google the type of info that was widely available 10yrs ago.

Yeah, I'm trying to put all the information together in a cohesive manner and make an "official" documentation of it as this stuff completely fascinates me and as you said it's not easy to coming across