IGNORED

ZAMN On Switch Incorrect Button Mapping

Ok, I downloaded Zombies Ate My Neighbors/ Ghoul Patrol on the Switch today. My biggest issue is the incorrect button mapping! You can’t correct it on the SNES Switch controllers but you can on the joy cons and pro controllers. Change A to X, X to Y, Y to A, B is correct. It about broke my brain trying to play it as “the Switch default” because the original button mapping is etched in my reflexes. Why would they change it? Am I just dense? Why can’t you remap buttons on the SNES Switch controllers? I wish you could at least change it in the game menu. Otherwise, it’s cool to see the interview, and fun to play in handheld mode.

Dont know if this is the right category for this, but Idk where else it would go to ask.

• Wow! 1

17 hours ago, 16BitBricks said:

Ok, I downloaded Zombies Ate My Neighbors/ Ghoul Patrol on the Switch today. My biggest issue is the incorrect button mapping! You can’t correct it on the SNES Switch controllers but you can on the joy cons and pro controllers. Change A to X, X to Y, Y to A, B is correct. It about broke my brain trying to play it as “the Switch default” because the original button mapping is etched in my reflexes. Why would they change it? Am I just dense? Why can’t you remap buttons on the SNES Switch controllers? I wish you could at least change it in the game menu. Otherwise, it’s cool to see the interview, and fun to play in handheld mode.

Dont know if this is the right category for this, but Idk where else it would go to ask.

I don't know why Nintendo limits the custom button config to just the joycons and pro controller. No idea why you can't with other support controllers... it's bizarre and couldn't find a reason online when I bought a Powera controller a while back. It does explicitly state on the Nintendo help website that custom button mapping is for the joycons, pro controller, and switch lite only.

Not sure why they'd swap the controls unless it's from another region or something where the controls were originally different. They did the same thing with Mario Sunshine (inverted the y-axis) but later came out with an update to be able to change it in game.

Only suggestion would be to use a different controller. Pretty stupid though since you are using a 1st party Nintendo accessory. This kind of stuff drives me up the wall.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I don't know why Nintendo limits the custom button config to just the joycons and pro controller. No idea why you can't with other support controllers... it's bizarre and couldn't find a reason online when I bought a Powera controller a while back. It does explicitly state on the Nintendo help website that custom button mapping is for the joycons, pro controller, and switch lite only.

Not sure why they'd swap the controls unless it's from another region or something where the controls were originally different. They did the same thing with Mario Sunshine (inverted the y-axis) but later came out with an update to be able to change it in game.

Only suggestion would be to use a different controller. Pretty stupid though since you are using a 1st party Nintendo accessory. This kind of stuff drives me up the wall.

I agree, it’s frustrating! I checked the PAL instruction manual to see if that version had different controls and they appear the same as the “NTSC” release. 🤞 on an update!

I hate this, for some reason Nintendo uses A as the select button on the menu while every other console uses B (X). The only game I've ever been able to map this manually is Shovel Knight.

I'm really happy I was able to swap the jump button on Breath Of The Wild as well. Jump should be B and run X.

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

I hate this, for some reason Nintendo uses A as the select button on the menu while every other console uses B (X). The only game I've ever been able to map this manually is Shovel Knight.

I'm really happy I was able to swap the jump button on Breath Of The Wild as well. Jump should be B and run X.

Just buy a 3rd party controller that allows you to map whatever to want to wherever you want.

Even on PS4, there are a number of games that force you to map every action to a button which can be frustrating, especially with L3 and R3 accidental presses or games that force you to ultimately hold down those buttons for running/sprinting which is rough on the controller. Lots of older games have way more customization options. One of the major reasons I like playing on PC... now I just need a better computer.