IGNORED

Lighting Question/concern

DeuceGamer

I’m concerned about my games being faded and wanted to see if there is more I need to be doing to protect my games long term. I found some threads on here but I’m not sure if they cover my scenario.

I display my games in my basement where there is no direct sunlight. The basement has a drop ceiling though with light fixtures built in the drop ceiling like those in a department store. I do work from home so the lights are on frequently. Do those lights present a bigger risk of fading/damaging my boxes and games? 

If I make sure all of the lights are LED’s is that normally enough that they won’t be damaged, or do I need to consider some type of dimmer, alternate light source, or storing them somewhere else?

If you're already thinking about it, just upgrade to LEDs for the peace of mind alone. I have covered, UV-filtered fluorescent lights in my garage (with a big wall of red Genesis spines!) but I'm only occasionally out there for a couple hours at a time, it's nothing like sunlight coming through a window for 16 hours a day every day. I also think cheapy "99% UV" filters, plastics, and films are of limited benefit in terms of fading from what I've seen in one anecdotal test, but maybe there must be really high quality ones museums used to use.

There's a lot of information on the topic if you look for museums and artwork conservation since museums have largely replaced their lighting with LEDs, for example:
https://www.canada.ca/en/conservation-institute/services/conservation-preservation-publications/technical-bulletins/led-lighting-museums.html#a8

Edited by DefaultGen