IGNORED

Resident Evil 4 VR announced for Oculus Quest 2

koifish

Surprising update part of RE8 coverage; Capcom, Oculus Studios, and Armature Studio (some legacy devs from Metroid Prime days at Retro) are working together to port Resident Evil 4 as a VR game to Oculus Quest 2. This includes the more surprising change, that it will be a first-person game, rather than third-person over the shoulder.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/04/resident-evil-4-vr-announced-for-oculus-quest-2-as-a-first-person-remake/

It's surprising to me, because at this point, the port is mobile-exclusive; There is no announced release for any PC VR platform (SteamVR, Oculus Rift) nor for Sony's new PSVR that they have halfway announced. All this means that this is one of the first bigger-name VR games to be specifically for one mobile platform rather than for the wider spectrum of VR headsets. To me, this is very telling of the market; Quest 2 is already the best-selling headset ever, and its popularity will likely come to dominate the market, just as I expected the Quest 1 to do when I first tried one in 2019 (I quickly christened it "The Game Boy of VR"). I am still bothered about the Facebook requirement for using Quest 2 (I have a Quest 1 which is grandfathered into using the original Oculus accounts, at least until 2023), but I cannot say that I'm bothered about mobile VR moving into prominence; I've been hype for the tech from the beginning and cannot wait to see it grow into a fuller, more mature product.

Curious what y'all think of this; I dunno how many other Sagers are into VR, and I'm sure someone here can post about how many times they've re-purchased RE4 already 🤣

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The exclusivity is a surprise, but to me, the move to first person isn't a surprise at all.  Third person games are not nearly as fun in VR compared to first person which gives you the true feeling of being there.  In addition, first person adds to the horror of the game.  I never really got into RE4, but it still sounds cool.  

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

The exclusivity is a surprise, but to me, the move to first person isn't a surprise at all.  Third person games are not nearly as fun in VR compared to first person which gives you the true feeling of being there.  In addition, first person adds to the horror of the game.  I never really got into RE4, but it still sounds cool.  

Pretty much this. It was basically a given that it would have to be first person.

The mobile exclusivity sounds baffling though. I'm willing to bet it will be a timed exclusive, and eventually see a port to consoles.