IGNORED

How do I clean the contacts inside a Game Boy Player...without taking it apart? UPDATE: Thanks guys; the credit card thing did the trick!

Estil

Sometimes when playing my GBA Everdrive (which for whatever reason is already giving me a warning about the battery has run dry and RTC resets to default; surely it shouldn't be doing that already?) the screen will freeze and turn the screen dim (or even give me the Red Screen of Death) forcing me to reset.  I suspect that it's the Game Boy Player connector's fault and needs to be cleaned.  Problem is, how do you do that without taking it apart (I really am not comfortable with taking it apart if it can at all be avoided).  I'm afraid that one day the gray screen of death might happen in the middle of saving a game and cause the save and/or SD card and/or Everdrive cartridge to get ruined 😞  That is why on a disc based console they warn big time not to touch the memory card or power button while saving, right?

Edited by Estil

Ever considered using a NIntendo gameboy cleaning kit?  It's the same as the NES one just smaller for that sized slot.  Without, you can rig up smoething like with a credit card, thin silky glasses wipe, and use some alcohol and just in-out the thing until it is clean.

8 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Ever considered using a NIntendo gameboy cleaning kit?  It's the same as the NES one just smaller for that sized slot.  Without, you can rig up smoething like with a credit card, thin silky glasses wipe, and use some alcohol and just in-out the thing until it is clean.

I just saw some on Ebay; will those work just as good in a Game Boy Player?

2 hours ago, Estil said:

I just saw some on Ebay; will those work just as good in a Game Boy Player?

Yes.

gbpmanual.jpg.411ec270179a0ccce076474b731fda4f.jpg

The Japanese Game Boy Player manual actually mentions the original Game Boy Cleaning Kit and shows a picture of it being used to clean a Game Boy Player.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

Well I tried Tanooki's trick (is using the packaged lens cleaner cloths that have the solution on them okay?).  I hope it works but unfortunately before that I lost a couple of my saves (and no it apparently didn't have to happen while the red light was on)...MegaMan Battle Network 2 and Final Fantasy 5...I had a backup save for the former (but it took me much further back) while I didn't have one for FF5 so... 😞  The one section/system of backup saves I didn't update like I should've... 😞 

So PSA for those in this situation...DON'T play your GBA games if for whatever reason your GBA/Game Boy Player has "resetting itself" problems or else you will be putting yourself in danger of losing your save!!  Instead, give your GBA/Game Boy Player contact cleaning as well as the cartridge.

I suppose FF5 isn't a bad game to give another go around and I think the save file was only a little over 20 hours or so...

Is the battery run dry/restting RTC to default thing really that big a deal or will that too risk losing saves?  I hope that's not really what's causing it...I bought this in 2016 surely the battery should've been good for way longer than this...

Edited by Estil

Oh no...apparently for whatever reason (I did a little google sleuthing) the way it saves the battery being dry CAN cause you to lose your saves!  So even me just checking other games to make sure they're alright could put them in danger!!  Well I guess now I know what I'll have to use my upcoming $100 Stone Age Gamer voucher for... 😞 

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8980.0

Now they tell me 😞   I DID copy over all the saves from the sd card to my PC right after I lost the Battle Network 2 save so hopefully once I get my new GBA Everdrive (does it make any difference if you get the regular or mini size?) I can put them back on the sd card and they should be good to go without further danger or saves getting erased?

Edited by Estil

• The title was changed to How do I clean the contacts inside a Game Boy Player...without taking it apart? UPDATE: Everdrive battery died and erased at least 1-2 of my saves :(

So my battery replaced GBA Everdrive is due to arrive Tuesday (as Monday is when in fourteen hundred and ninety two, Columbo got us a day off of skewl! 😄 )...I just have my fingers crossed that I didn't lose any other saves besides that Battle Network 2 one (which I did have a backup for; put me about 50 chips futher behind but better than nothing). 

At least I do get another Trick or Treat card with it (I already will get one once the MegaDrive Pro comes in); for those who don't know how it works, there's a 50% chance it'll have a "treat" (a store credit for $2, $5, $10 (what I got last year)...or even up to $100 or $250 grand prize!).  But there's also a 50% chance it'll be a "trick", which means...

Well guys I did like you suggested, used a credit/debit card with a few of those moist lens cleaners (I found a box of them) as well as using the ol' cotton swab/alcohol trick.  This time though, I actually unplugged the GC so I could actually look straight down inside the GBP's contacts and see what I'm doing.  I thoroughly did both top and bottom...and so far I haven't had a "game freeze" since!

Sadly I did have to start Final Fantasy 5 over but thank God I did back everything up before anymore damage was done.  Losing for example, my completed Battle Network 3 Blue file and the progress I made in both Battle Network 4's would've really sucked balls 😞 

As for the Trick or Treat code...I got a rock 😞   Hopefully I'll have better luck with the one with my upcoming Mega Everdrive Pro.

• The title was changed to How do I clean the contacts inside a Game Boy Player...without taking it apart? UPDATE: Thanks guys; the credit card thing did the trick!