IGNORED

Games that give the AVS trouble

A friend of mine a few years ago gave me an AVS for free which was nice of him because he was cashing out.  Anyway I got the itch to play some random NES titles the past few weeks and Festers Quest wasn't working.  Then I remembered about getting the pin replacement.  I just got the pin replacement today (turns out, I already had it in the AVS) but I tried the new one and it still wasn't working.  I know some SLROM boards have that funny green strip thing but that was in the old NA days and I can't remember what other games were affected if I got to replace them.

Also bootgod is down, so I can't reference any other SLROM-04 boards that have that weird pin thing going on.

So what were the games that had this issue?

Since I love information, I was able to use the wayback machine and do some research.  

Visually, these are all the PCBs and the games with them that have that Green strip.  There might be more, but I think they all belong to the same Mapper (MMC1).  All of their production dates are from July 89 to Jan 90.  Most being Aug - December.  I only have a few games here to test (Festers Quest, POW, Double Dragon, Bubble Bobble) that may not work.  I have played TMNT, Bionic Commando, Blaster Master, Castlevania II, and Ninja Gaiden and all work.  But its more than likely the copies I have don't have the boards from below.  For example, there are different revisions of the SLROM board, 01, 2, 3 etc.  So an SLROM board for Ninja Gaiden is the same, but because of reprints and redesigns, only SLROM04 would have the issue, while SLROM03 will work fine.

These are all the SPECIFIC board revisions that look like they have that green strip.  If someone wants to test these, knock yourselves out.

NROM256-05: June 89 - Jan 90
Dig Dug II
Hydlide
Mach Rider
Tag Team Wrestling
Wrecking Crew

CNROM06: July - Nov 89
Adventures of Dino Riki
Back to the Future
Castlequest
Championship Bowling
Cybernoid
Donkey Kong Classics
Gradius
Karate Kid
King's Quest
Milon's Secret Castle
Paperboy
Qbert

MHROM04: Aug 89
Super Mario / Duck Hunt

UNROM08: July 89 - Jan 90
Archon
Black Bass
Dr. Chaos
DuckTales
Flying Dragon
Guardian Legend
Hollywood Squares
Jordan vs. Bird
Robo Warrior
Thundercade
Twin Eagle
Uncanny X-Men

TEROM02: Sept - Nov 89
To The Earth

TLROM01: June 89 - Jan 90
8 Eyes
Bad Dudes
Robocop

TSROM04: July - Dec 89
Super Mario Bros 2

SAROM01: July - Sept 89
Dragon Warrior

SBROM02: Nov 89
Short Order / Eggsplode!

SCROM02: Sept 89
Sky Shark

SEROM03: Sept - Nov 89
Sesame Street ABC
Tetris

SF1ROM02: Aug - Sept 89
Bases Loaded

SFROM02: Nov - 89
Bases Loaded
Bubble Bobble (DOESNT WORK)

SGROM03: Sept - Dec 89
Bad Street Brawler
Battle of Olympus
Bionic Commando
Faxanadu

SH1ROM01: Oct 89
Airwolf

SJROM02: Aug 89
Air Fortress

SL1ROM02: Aug - Oct 89
Hoops
Sky Shark

SL2ROM01: Oct 89
Blaster Master

SL3ROM01: Aug 89
Goal

SLROM04: Aug 89 - Jan 90
Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Castlevania II
Clash at Demonhead
Double Dragon
Festers Quest
Godzilla
Golgo 13
Guerrilla War
Ninja Gaiden
POW
Rescue the Embassy
Stealth ATF
Tecmo Bowl
TMNT
Three Stooges

SNROM04: Aug - Nov 89
Metroid
Ultima: Exodus

Edited by guitarzombie
  • Like 3

All of mine work, including green strip games. Fester's Quest, Faxanadu and Tetris had the green strip.

Did you also remove the offending plastic piece?

https://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?products_id=156

I think that was affecting the green strip games more than the pins (though the pins were an issue, too.) Removed that with an Xacto knife and BOOM, every game worked.

Edited by Tulpa

3 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I know Bubble Bobble works my wife and I played it not long ago on AVS

edit: maybe not the exact version you listed though

Im going thru my games and this is what I have:

SFROM02:
Bubble Bobble (DOESNT WORK)

SL2ROM01: 
Blaster Master (WORKS)

SLROM04: Aug 89 - Jan 90
Double Dragon (DOESNT WORK)
Festers Quest (DOESNT WORK)
Ninja Gaiden (WORKS)
POW (WORKS)

Konami SLROM with similar pins:
TMNT (WORKS)

Now that I have SLROM04 games that work, I dunno why the other ones didn't?  I've cleaned them in the past and Festers Quest was clean.  Gonna clean them and try again.

3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

All of mine work, including green strip games. Fester's Quest, Faxanadu and Tetris had the green strip.

Did you also remove the offending plastic piece?

https://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?products_id=156

I think that was affecting the green strip games more than the pins (though the pins were an issue, too.) Removed that with an Xacto knife and BOOM, every game worked.

Oh no I didnt.  I saw a video some someone removing that strip and it was much larger than mine when I opened it.  I assume mine must have came out after that problem was addressed, which is probably why it had the newer connector in it.

5 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

If it was from the very first batch of AVSes, it probably needs that plastic piece gone.

I dont think it was because it had the newer connector already in it.  But just now I had 2 games that didnt work, Bubble Bobble and Double Dragon.  I just cleaned them and put the PCBs directly into the AVS without the top shell and both games worked immediately.  After putting on the shell, Bubble Bobble now can't even be read.  So I guess I have to remove that piece then since theres no other explanation.  

47 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

If it was from the very first batch of AVSes, it probably needs that plastic piece gone.

Removed that door and now Bubble Bobble works.  Huzzah.  Now I gotta see if there are any games that aren't MMC1 that have that green strip (I dont think there are), to test them and make sure they're good too.

• Like 1

Whats the board revision?

Im gonna guess its SGROM04.  The other revisions don't fit that time frame.  Also bootgod can certainly be missing really specific board revisions as they're only updated when people upload to it.  Which is why if this is SGROM04, it isn't in there cuz no one has updated it.  With that in mind, this list CAN be incomplete, but has all the data that is CURRENTLY in there.

Edited by guitarzombie

On 8/27/2020 at 12:09 PM, guitarzombie said:

A friend of mine a few years ago gave me an AVS for free which was nice of him because he was cashing out.  Anyway I got the itch to play some random NES titles the past few weeks and Festers Quest wasn't working.  Then I remembered about getting the pin replacement.  I just got the pin replacement today (turns out, I already had it in the AVS) but I tried the new one and it still wasn't working.  I know some SLROM boards have that funny green strip thing but that was in the old NA days and I can't remember what other games were affected if I got to replace them.

Also bootgod is down, so I can't reference any other SLROM-04 boards that have that weird pin thing going on.

So what were the games that had this issue?

This is a shame because I really dig Fester's Quest, and if I was to buy an AVS I would want to play my rando copy I have laying around here.

1 hour ago, gandalf1 said:

This is a shame because I really dig Fester's Quest, and if I was to buy an AVS I would want to play my rando copy I have laying around here.

After the mod, mine works.

New AVSes were changed to accommodate the green strip issue.

4 hours ago, Tulpa said:

After the mod, mine works.

New AVSes were changed to accommodate the green strip issue.

Whats weird is I think I had the newer AVS because it already had the updated Rev cart slot.  I only noticed it after I order the 'fixed' one and saw it was identical to what was already in the system.