IGNORED

What is going on with this Gamecube? Modded?

broncofantd793

They don't?  Aside from Mr Driller which I know can wreck a card, I've never had an issue with others.

I have a soft mod of sorts I guess, that FreeLoader boot disc and I've played a small number of Japanese titles and one PAL (Doshin) on my system.  I can say that PAL and NTSC/J don't work on the same so that had to have its own card which thankfully I got with it too.  But I've played the Hudson Select titles, Gundam, Castle of Shikigami, Nintendo Puzzle Collection, and a few others with no problem on memory card issues.  There is a list online if you google it that will warn you which games can be rats like Driller.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

They don't?  Aside from Mr Driller which I know can wreck a card, I've never had an issue with others.

I have a soft mod of sorts I guess, that FreeLoader boot disc and I've played a small number of Japanese titles and one PAL (Doshin) on my system.  I can say that PAL and NTSC/J don't work on the same so that had to have its own card which thankfully I got with it too.  But I've played the Hudson Select titles, Gundam, Castle of Shikigami, Nintendo Puzzle Collection, and a few others with no problem on memory card issues.  There is a list online if you google it that will warn you which games can be rats like Driller.

Interesting! The titles you listed I haven't tried to save but i have a region switch on my cube and in the Japanese menu it will not recognize us formatted cards and will ask to format the card. After the format Japan games have no issue saving but once you go flip back to us and try to view the card it will not read it and ask to format.

I had heard you could save both regions on the same card with certain games and freeloader/action replay but I don't like the risk of losing saves. Memory cards are cheap (especially if you get a Japanese lot) so I just use seperately formatted cards.

You're right they are cheap.  I've never had a loss, but I also researched it first which is the only reason I have not bought Mr Driller as it not only can't save, it's failures nukes the card contents into oblivion.  The others, you'll get a mix of jibberish or english for the file save name around all the US stuff.  Most games will play and display right, but Shikigami no Shiro II the text is all fubar just like the save screen but since it's a vertical shooter I don't really care.  I've sold off some of my JP games, 2 I have in a box waiting to sell, but 4 I have kept from Japan/UK as they're excellent.  I'd take it up to 5 but I've had trouble finding a non-bin trolled Adv Island Hudson Select title and may never.

I think perhaps the stories out there are conflicing.  The Freeloader itself has no code really other than to boot to a menu.  It doesn't do cheats, patches, or other trickery.  It's simply a retail ghetto boot disc for imports.  It fires up the game in US mode, stops the spin, lets you drop another as it stays in memory, and then off it goes loading up JP and EU titles.  I learned about it I guess about 5 years ago maybe if that.  I wanted Doshin since it came out and never could get it, then a store 2mi up the road got it in and being non-compatible sold it for just $20 with a PAL formatted card inside with the former owners notes to ONLY use that card with PAL games.  I recaled another store in town like 5mi in the other direction or so had the freeloader so I ran over and dropped another $20 and the dream of playing Doshin was realized.  I then researched the kit more, memory card pickiness, and landmine games like Driller and started to explore since.  Other than the SNES currently I've got imports for my NES, N64, GC, Switch, and all their handhelds that were compatible (so no DS/3DS stuff) to date with Switch.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Doshin!

Yes! That's totally why I region switch modded mine in '04. I saw all the doshin talk in Nintendo power/ online and the game looked so interesting. 

What 2 are you getting ready to sell? The Hudson selects pop up on eBay infrequently, guess I haven't paid close attention to condition.

In my first post I didn't mean to be disingenuous hiding the fact that you can use a freeloader to also save on the same card, I just didn't want someone inexperienced to not have an easy time or incompatibility/text issues.

3 hours ago, drxandy said:

Yes! That's totally why I region switch modded mine in '04. I saw all the doshin talk in Nintendo power/ online and the game looked so interesting. 

What 2 are you getting ready to sell? The Hudson selects pop up on eBay infrequently, guess I haven't paid close attention to condition.

In my first post I didn't mean to be disingenuous hiding the fact that you can use a freeloader to also save on the same card, I just didn't want someone inexperienced to not have an easy time or incompatibility/text issues.

Nintendo Puzzle Collection and Gundam vs Z-Gundam they're both complete, average shape, the outer sleves have seen better days and the discs have the usual minor scuffs and stuff that comes with being used and making it long distance.  I didn't think you were up to anything about the freeloader, it's a fair warning.

Bronco: I'd just look into what a region switch one sells for, then either buy the cord or drop the price plus a couple bucks so someone will feel ok buying their own if they don't have it already.  It's a good item you have there.

• Like 1