IGNORED

Hypothetical: NES classic mini Toploader

phart010

Hypothetically, if Nintendo were to do a rev2 NES classic mini, what 30 games would realistically be on it? They wouldn’t include any of the original 30.. The games would have to have minimal licensing issues (Ninja Turtles and movie franchises are probably out). They would have to mostly be developed by Nintendo. There would have to be a diverse blend of genres... Not just all sides rolling platformers.

Some 3rd party’s that seem to be licensing a lot of their stuff out nowadays are Irem, Capcom, Data East, Technos 

It'd be cool to do a bit more of a "hidden gem" deep dive. Maybe not all 30 titles, but some.  Throw in games like Little Samson, Gun+Nac and Metal Storm and people can see why these games are heavy hitters. Also throwing in DQ1 could be nice. It was huge in Japan and free to NP subscribers so there's tons of nostalgia for that one. If you need a sports title, I'd vote Techno Bowl, but I can't think of a sports title on the NES I actually like. Rad Racer and R.C. Pro Am would be nice additions too.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

Why wouldn’t you still include the original 30 titles with 30 additional titles?  That way you get the “Greatest Hits” and the “B-Sides” together in one package.  A stand alone B-side hodgepodge collection of rando roms isn’t enough of a hook.

That or do like the Shonen Jump Edition and have variants based on publishers:

Capcom edition: Bionic Comando, GnG, mega mans, Disney games

Konami edition: Castlevanias, Contras, Metal Gears, Shmups

Square/Enix: All the FF and DQ games, some famicom titles, and Rad Racer duh

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RH said:

It'd be cool to do a bit more of a "hidden gem" deep dive. Maybe not all 30 titles, but some.  Throw in games like Little Samson, Gun+Nac and Metal Storm and people can see why these games are heavy hitters. TAlsi trowing in DQ1 could be nice. It was huge in Japan and free to NP subscribers so there's tons of nostalgia for that one. If you need a sports title, I'd vote Techno Bowl, but I can't think of a sports title on the NES I actually like. Rad Racer and R.C. Pro Am would be nice additions too.

I was thinking 30 is just about the largest number of games you’d want to feature in a product. You know “less is more.”

Once you get many more than that, it’s too many to scroll through and you probably won’t actually play them as much.

Also, for the third party games, they have to pay licensing fees to put them onto the system.. having double the number of third party titles might keep them from being able to maintain the same price point.