IGNORED

Dedicated Thread for Navigation/Customization Questions

coffeewithmrsaturn

Sorry if something like this is already up!  I know the best way to learn is by doing, but I thought people may benefit from having a central place to ask "dumb" questions about how to navigate and customize this site while we are learning.  For example, I am trying to figure out the best way to replicate the simplicity of the Latest Topics button that was on NA without having to go into specific subforums, which made me think that other people may also have little questions but don't want to clutter the place with threads for one-off issues or pm mods and admin.

(This thread is not a one-off question in disguise).

Please lock this if such a topic already exists...I'm still learning the site!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Administrator · Posted

One of the things I'd say is that I do caution against trying too hard to stick to "old ways". I know that comfort is comforting, but remember that we do have some cool tools here like Blogs and Articles, and I sincerely hope that people utilize them. If a bunch of people always filter their searches to just the "Latest posts" or "Latest topics" then they'll be missing out on all the potential content that people are making, and that can discourage the content creators from using the tools in the intended way.

THAT SAID, under Activity > My Activity Streams you can create custom filters for the Activity Stream, and once you have one you like you can click the little Checkmark beside the name you gave it to make it your default Activity view.

Again, my hope is that people don't go too far out of their way to filter out content like this, but if you're dead set on doing so, there are ways using the Activity Stream filters. One of the best features honestly IS the ability to customize your own experience, so while I'd prefer that people see all the content, maybe that's not for you, and I still believe you should be able to experience the site in a way that works for you.

@Gloves I totally understand where you're coming from, and I agree with the spirit of your message.  My "NA routine" was to check Latest Topics first, so I never missed a topic, and then check Latest Posts.  While I get the impression this site is much more geared toward Latest Posts, I'm hoping to take the best of both worlds! 🙂  Thanks for the info.  I'll check it out.

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

No worries man! I just wanna make sure people know about the features and don't limit themselves. 🙂

I plan on using the “Articles” feature to post my lists and then link them in the “Big List of Lists” thread.

Articles on Sachen, HES, Gluk, Codemasters, MicroGenius, Brazil, Cowboy, and Samurai India are ideas I’ve got going too.

4 hours ago, coffeewithmrsaturn said:

@Link Thank you, but I'm trying to do specifically a list of Latest Topics (not Latest Posts).  Unless I'm missing some toggle in what you linked...

Nope. Didn’t see anything like that and felt .../discover/unread was closest to what you asked. Have a look at .../discover (without /unread) which shows more kinds of activity. Still not exactly what you posted about, though.

@Gloves what is the difference between articles and blogs? I would think blogs would be a series of articles, but there are posts in blogs, and nothing yet in articles, so that must not be how it’s supposed to work.

I’m glad that you want to get more focus on that kind of more formal, long-form content. I checked the front page of NA rarely and sporadically, because that matched the publishing schedule. Looking forward to what people come up with, and I will consider trying my hand at some writing. 

Edited by Link

Administrator · Posted
6 hours ago, Link said:

Nope. Didn’t see anything like that and felt .../discover/unread was closest to what you asked. Have a look at .../discover (without /unread) which shows more kinds of activity. Still not exactly what you posted about, though.

@Gloves what is the difference between articles and blogs? I would think blogs would be a series of articles, but there are posts in blogs, and nothing yet in articles, so that must not be how it’s supposed to work.

I’m glad that you want to get more focus on that kind of more formal, long-form content. I checked the front page of NA rarely and sporadically, because that matched the publishing schedule. Looking forward to what people come up with, and I will consider trying my hand at some writing. 

Articles are from the staff. Thus far we've been a bit busy so nothing up yet.