IGNORED

What was the first SRPG you played (and when)?

Tabonga

I was always a Risk and Axis and Allies fan growing up in the 80's as a teenager. I guess my first game would be considered a sub genre of the Strategy/Rpg tree in being it's more of a Strategy/Simulation game. That would be Genghis Khan for the Nes. I originally saw it in 87 on my friends IBM 286. Later on played it on the Nes and fell in love with it and other Koei simulation games on the Nes like Nobunaga's Ambition and Bandit Kings of ancient china. These games have strategy elements(army battles on usually a hex based map), Simulation elements(resource management and country building) with some RPG elements(raising your character stats through "Training") Later on I discovered RTS games like Herzog Zwei and Dune The Battle for Arrakis on the Genesis in the early/mid 90's.The Genesis became my favorite system. First true SRPG would have been Shining Force. Around 98 with my first computer the internet opened my eyes to a whole new world of video games and I was hooked. Trying to find any and every Strategy/Rpg, Strategy game I could get my hands on.Several years later I was fortunate to have become friends with the founder of this topic and we've discussed our love of these games ever since 😄

• Like 1

I have often wondered why the SNES had virtually nothing in the way of SRPGs  (aside from the various KOEI games - which are a whole different kettle of fish IMHO).

There was also very  little in the way of strategy games on the SNES - War 2410, War 3010 and Super Conflict - all of which were somewhat lame in hindsight.   

For these genres the Genesis was the way to go.

Awe c'mon now how could you forget Metal Marines? Base building(Sim City) with strategy elements using your attacking Metal Marines and missile attacks. I enjoyed War 2410 but the other two not so much. There were lots of Strategy Rpg's for the Super Famicom that sadly weren't ported over here.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bighab said:

Awe c'mon now how could you forget Metal Marines? Base building(Sim City) with strategy elements using your attacking Metal Marines and missile attacks. I enjoyed War 2410 but the other two not so much. There were lots of Strategy Rpg's for the Super Famicom that sadly weren't ported over here.

I tend to overlook the real time games since by and large I don't usually like them.  

I liked War 3100 a bit better than War 2410 since there was no air supremacy issue in it - one weakness most games with air units have is that once you gain air supremacy the battle is pretty much over.  They are both pretty clunky by any modern standard though.

Super Conflict was just plain clunky and way to simple in its mechanics.

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Do you count the SSI Gold Box AD&D games?

They were built around a significant amount of tactical combat.

Most memorable element being the behavior of Lighting Bolt -- could ricochet when used normally -- became a huge area-of-effect when used under water.

I tend to be fairly liberal in  such things so if you think they are then they are up for discussion.   I have always thought it odd that some people get themselves in a twist over whether Link to the Past is an RPG or not - it is still a damn good game either way.  

Edited by Tabonga

9 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Do you count the SSI Gold Box AD&D games?

They were built around a significant amount of tactical combat.

Most memorable element being the behavior of Lighting Bolt -- could ricochet when used normally -- became a huge area-of-effect when used under water.

Love the SSI Gold box games. Never played them cause I didn't have a PC but I enjoy Pools of Radiance on the Nes and Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday for the Genesis