IGNORED

Came across a Bandai Family Fun Fitness Mat for the NES today, in the box. Need some info

Firehouse1983

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What specific questions do you have?

This was the original version of the Power Pad before Nintendo bought/licensed it and rebranded it for their games. It came with the original version of Athletic World as a pack-in (including box) which is quite rare. Prices are all over the place since it doesn't go up for auction very often, but the mat is not super valuable on its own. I'd guess the mat/outer box would go in the 100-200 dollar range in an auction. BIN values are extremely inflated.

Athletic World with it's original box is the more valuable piece and can range from a few hundred bucks to over 1K depending on the quality of the box. The original artwork which would have come in this box is the first picture below. The second picture is the artwork from the re-released Power Pad version.

Stadium Events was meant to be a part of this Family Fun Fitness line and I believe it is mentioned on the back of the box.

athletic_world_orig.jpg

045557077006.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore

More of like, how limited is it? If I'm going by Wikipedia, when Nintendo bought the rights for it, they had the rest of the Bandai mats recalled. Is that true? I guess I'm just looking at it more of a historical piece, than a value piece. I did look it up and there's hardly any for sale, at all, on ebay, which made me think it was a pretty rare piece to have. 

2 minutes ago, Firehouse1983 said:

More of like, how limited is it? If I'm going by Wikipedia, when Nintendo bought the rights for it, they had the rest of the Bandai mats recalled. Is that true? I guess I'm just looking at it more of a historical piece, than a value piece. I did look it up and there's hardly any for sale, at all, on ebay, which made me think it was a pretty rare piece to have. 

I have no idea on quantity, but the standard NES answer for anything like this is <10,000. It probably is pretty rare in the grand scheme of things, but because it's not that valuable, people are willing to part with it on a regular basis. I see a new one added to eBay every 1-2 months and I saw yours earlier today when you added it.

50 minutes ago, Firehouse1983 said:

More of like, how limited is it? If I'm going by Wikipedia, when Nintendo bought the rights for it, they had the rest of the Bandai mats recalled. Is that true? 

Never been any evidence of a recall that has turned up. Same thing with Stadium Events.

More likely that the early Bandai Family Fun Fitness items were not shipped in large quantities. It's been speculated that Bandai was feeling out the US market and when Americans didn't go for it, they stopped shipping. Later, Nintendo tried to make a go with the Power Pad and better marketing, which shipped more units, but it still wasn't a huge seller.

Edited by Tulpa