IGNORED

Xbox One Not Reading Any Discs

Found an Xbox One at the dumpster. Great cosmetic condition, and works fine... except for the disc drive. I guess that's why the previous owner got rid of it.

I can still download a bunch of free games and play them, which is cool, but I wonder if anybody had this problem before and there's a software fix for it. Or else I will have to see how much a replacement drive costs.

• Like 1

Luckily, I found a guy who suggested to tilt the console at an angle just after inserting a disc, until you can feel/hear it spin.

Seems idiotic, but that actually works. The drive is probably going to fail soon, but at least I can play games for the moment. It's like you have to shove the disc deeper than usual for the drive to recognise it, or something like that.

Sort of like turning your PlayStation upside down back then. Only, 30 years later.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Social Team · Posted
On 5/21/2024 at 6:21 AM, Tyree_Cooper said:

Luckily, I found a guy who suggested to tilt the console at an angle just after inserting a disc, until you can feel/hear it spin.

Seems idiotic, but that actually works. The drive is probably going to fail soon, but at least I can play games for the moment. It's like you have to shove the disc deeper than usual for the drive to recognise it, or something like that.

Sort of like turning your PlayStation upside down back then. Only, 30 years later.

I can't remember if it was the Xbox One or another console, but the disk drives/hard drives can sometimes be locked by only working when "paired" with the original motherboard they were installed with.  Basically bricking the system if the thing dies.  Double check this isn't a problem for you before investing too much time on the console.  Maybe best to scrap it for the nice shell.  Or maybe the community found a workaround for this stupid anti-consumer/repair issue.

45 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I can't remember if it was the Xbox One or another console, but the disk drives/hard drives can sometimes be locked by only working when "paired" with the original motherboard they were installed with.  Basically bricking the system if the thing dies.  Double check this isn't a problem for you before investing too much time on the console.  Maybe best to scrap it for the nice shell.  Or maybe the community found a workaround for this stupid anti-consumer/repair issue.

I think this is ps5