IGNORED

Polishing Displays

Just this week I picked up a Mega Duck (sort of a copyright neutral Gameboy clone). It worked ok, but the display was super scuffed. These have gone up a lot in cost, and it's too obscure for people to make aftermarket screens, so I went ahead and tried this stuff called Polywatch. If my understanding is correct slightly melts the plastic, allowing for it to fill in small scratches. Here's a before and after. I think that it looks a lot better. Anyone else have any suggestions on what to do with a bad display lens (aside from replacing it)?

Before.jpeg

After.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

Looks pretty good!  I have actually used a product called Novus 123 regularly for refinishing plastic to remove scratches.  Takes a steady hand and and some patience but you can get really good results.  Even managed to get some LaserDiscs with deeper scratches looking quite nice after I was done.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, xelement5x said:

Looks pretty good!  I have actually used a product called Novus 123 regularly for refinishing plastic to remove scratches.  Takes a steady hand and and some patience but you can get really good results.  Even managed to get some LaserDiscs with deeper scratches looking quite nice after I was done.  

My problem with Novus 123 is that it seems to absorb into everything I put it on.  I have to go through so much of that stuff for it work.  I know it's a super-fine grit/sand in a suspension and that's why it works but, man, it seems to absorb right into the microcloth/paper towel/whatever I try to use and I have to keep re-applying it.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, RH said:

it seems to absorb right into the microcloth/paper towel/whatever I try to use and I have to keep re-applying it.

Don't be a wuss, use your fingers.

• Like 1

I've never heard of polywatch but I like that result.  I've got a few plastic pieces that could benefit from that.  I was using my left over novus from when I had a pin and it did work well there, but when it came to clear plastics from CD bottoms (lost causes) to lenses it seemed to nail down larger marks nicely enough but it also would not clear out stuff like the above image but get more hazy due to the sanding effect.  I'd like to see how that would work on a jacked up CD or DVD.

23 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I've never heard of polywatch but I like that result.  I've got a few plastic pieces that could benefit from that.  I was using my left over novus from when I had a pin and it did work well there, but when it came to clear plastics from CD bottoms (lost causes) to lenses it seemed to nail down larger marks nicely enough but it also would not clear out stuff like the above image but get more hazy due to the sanding effect.  I'd like to see how that would work on a jacked up CD or DVD.

A DVD is not a bad idea. I've got a scuffed copy of Dracula vs Frankenstein that I could use the leftover polywatch on

19 hours ago, Ankos said:

A DVD is not a bad idea. I've got a scuffed copy of Dracula vs Frankenstein that I could use the leftover polywatch on

Do try it I'm realy curious to see how that works out.  I've saved a few discs with 1-2-3 before but then the bottom is littered with a foggy haze from all the micro abrasions taking away the shine.   Worked, looked like crap, but worked.  This though seems to work and melt(or of the sort) a new smooth clean shiny surface into it.  I would think an optical disc would benefit from that as your mega duck lens did.