IGNORED

What to make of these games?

I was sorting through some games last weekend to sell, and I couldn't get these two to run, as well as about ten others. Cracked everything open to do a proper scrub n rub and noticed something interesting about the games. Not really sure what is going on with these games, well yeah actually I do see what is going on but not really sure what to think of it.

Let's discuss.

IMG20240504222942.jpg

IMG20240504222954.jpg

IMG20240504222959.jpg

IMG20240504223008.jpg

IMG20240504223053.jpg

IMG20240504223101.jpg

IMG20240504223120.jpg

IMG20240504223126.jpg

I'll post what I sent you for other folk's benefit:

These are a very odd case for sure, the DK3 looks like legit nintendo hardware. The CHR rom for sure is and I have seen nintendo use labeling like that on rom chips, they used labels similar to that on arcade game roms like those on VS Systems. There's a chance that it is a grey market game that kinda just wandered over there. I'd dump the cart and compare it to whats available online.

https://nescartdb.com/profile/image/1668?position=pcb_front

The wrecking crew is weird too, but they look like legit mask roms. Nintendo has used those types on legitimate boards before. That one used an illigitimate board though. Super odd. My guess is that both of these are grey market cartridges or ones that were made using "third shift" chips. Super interesting pickups.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

I'll post what I sent you for other folk's benefit:

These are a very odd case for sure, the DK3 looks like legit nintendo hardware. The CHR rom for sure is and I have seen nintendo use labeling like that on rom chips, they used labels similar to that on arcade game roms like those on VS Systems. There's a chance that it is a grey market game that kinda just wandered over there. I'd dump the cart and compare it to whats available online.

https://nescartdb.com/profile/image/1668?position=pcb_front

The wrecking crew is weird too, but they look like legit mask roms. Nintendo has used those types on legitimate boards before. That one used an illigitimate board though. Super odd. My guess is that both of these are grey market cartridges or ones that were made using "third shift" chips. Super interesting pickups.

Thanks for posting this! I spoke with a few local people and they were quite surprised by this, I had a theory but sadly I cant confirm it.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Seems like the Nintendo plants were cranking out more chips than Nintendo got their hands on and went into some bootleggy goodies.

Maybe that's why Nintendo had that chip shortage...