IGNORED

Action 52 Box Color Variants?

jettgogaming

I recently came across a sealed Action 52 for sale in a FB retro gaming group and I noticed something different about it when comparing it to my Action 52 box. The box and colors are different. I am aware there are 3 different variants of the Action 52 game cartridge itself, (blue, green, and black PCB), however I did not know there are also box variants too. Can anyone provide some additional insight/background into Action 52 box color variants? Did different colored boxes come with the different colored PCB board variants of the game? If so, what color box came with what color PCB board? To provide more context - I own the black PCB board variant of the game. Does anyone have additional pics for comparison? (Pics below: screenshots of the Action 52 sealed copy that was for sale in the FB group, and front/back picture of my box - the purple box).

IMG_5142.jpeg

IMG_5143.jpeg

IMG_5192.jpeg

IMG_5193.jpeg

57 minutes ago, jettgogaming said:

Ah crap, i feel like an idiot. Lol i had no idea they made this game for the Genesis!! ha, thanks for pointing out the obvious. 😛

It's all good.  I had no idea either until I got my copy.  It's actually a bit better from a play perspective.  Lots of the game breaking shit got fixed, and one of the really broken games was replaced with Pong 😆 

• Haha 1

Yeah, Action 52 for Genesis is an interesting cart. The NES version is interesting for its astounding incompetence, but the Sega version games are playable (if mind-numbingly simple even for 8-bit, let alone 16-bit.)

I don't know if much is known about Gen Action 52 other than they hired a separate developer. It was also released in 1993 according to Wikipedia. Had to be right around the time Active went under.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 2:56 PM, Tulpa said:

Yeah, Action 52 for Genesis is an interesting cart. The NES version is interesting for its astounding incompetence, but the Sega version games are playable (if mind-numbingly simple even for 8-bit, let alone 16-bit.)

I don't know if much is known about Gen Action 52 other than they hired a separate developer. It was also released in 1993 according to Wikipedia. Had to be right around the time Active went under.

Hey Tulpa, which one would you say is harder to come by? The NES one or the Genesis cart

I would say the Genesis version is rarer, but it tends to be available more frequently.  At least from what I've seen.

Edit: What I mean by that is that there are fewer buyers for the Genesis version, so it tends to sit for sale longer. The NES version is easier to randomly stumble across, but it doesn't typically sit on the shelf very long.

Edited by the_wizard_666

Yeah, I would agree with that. There's probably more NES collectors out there snapping up any reasonably priced NES Action 52s. So the ones that sit on eBay are the ones priced really high.

I don't think anyone ever came up with actual sales numbers for either one.