IGNORED

NES star codes

dogbowl

I've heard a number of explanations on the "star cade" that is shown on NES box tabs and manuals occasionally.  WATA has posted that they were on 'promo' copies of games given out  (and perhaps thats true in some situations -- I cannot confirm or deny)

Hoping to add a bit to the discussion here.  I've have two copies of the same game, each with date codes similar to each other:

Jack Nicklaus Golf  Box date - 00107.  Manual Date  00107 

image.jpeg.30cf46e8eb9b090c02a1f10db06468d7.jpeg                       

Jack Nicklaus Golf  Box date - 00604.  Manual Date  00607

image.jpeg.6968be5436d218bac17f902a2a16ce96.jpeg

The manual printing roughly 6 months later, in mid-1990 has a star code.  The only difference is the rear projection TV warning

image.jpeg.1d31c28b99e7112a58e6139e535d227c.jpeg

So, as far has star codes on manuals, I'd suspect that indicate some sort of minor variation not worthy of a -1 or -2 code revision.  And probably most likely, its in regards to the Rear Projection warning.

Question then may be -- were the games that included the separate Rear Projection warning sheet insert produced in the timeframe just before this (early 1990) and then did this warning become standard language in all manuals after the star code was no longer used?

Edited by dogbowl

• 1 month later...

The star code on the manual is for thr RPTV warning.  I remember being one of the first to figure that out years ago.  But I suppose the loss of the forums where it was discussed makes it hard to find the info these days.  But yeah, before the star variant manuals, there was an insert sheet that had that warning on it.  They then switched to printing it in the manuals.  All the games that have a star variant were games that were out before that switch but were reprinted after.  Games released after the switch don't have a star variant but do have the RPTV warning in the manual.

• Like 2