IGNORED

Condition-wise, how would you describe a Nintendo console received as an exchange from Nintendo's official repair services?

koifish

I am not sure how to describe a system that I am considering selling. I did an exchange for a broken 2DS last year and got what was essentially a new console in return. It came in the refurb shipment packaging, but it was clearly not the same system. It looks untouched, but since it wasn't from a store, I don't know how you would describe it. How do collectors typically look at something like this?

It's a tough call.  I mean, as a collectors item, I do know that some factory repair/replacement items can be worth a bit of money with time, especially if they are in original shipment packaging because that stuff tends to be rare.  Who sends an item in for repair or orders replacement parts, and then doesn't use them once they are returned?  Most people don't use warranties so the people that don't use the item when it's returned are even smaller percentage of 2DS owners.

Rare, oddball Nintendo stuff always seems to be a bit hot, but the 2DS isn't that old.  It could be worth something some day, but it's hard to say for today.

Now, there is a different factor.  You mention that the device looks new.  Well... it might be.  I know that I've heard historically that many big companies when dealing with refurbishments and repairs will weigh the balance of simply replacing broken hardware with new stuff and labeling it "refurbished" to keep people from sending in their functionally fine hardware with a scuff or two just to get a replacement, but if enough hardware is returned, and the replacement is easy (say, a plastic button cracks that can simply be replaced) then they will, in fact, refurbish the item.

I'd imagine with Nintendo they probably replace most of the hardware and simply still slap the "refurbished" stickers on it.  Their hardware is usually well made so returns are probably low and as a cost measure it's probably cheaper to just replace 95% of what's returned to them.

But even if it's a new device, having that "Refurbished" sticker on the item or box tends to have a stigma attached to it for current gen items.  It's like checking out a car on Carfax and seeing it's been in an accident.  It could look clean and perfect, but having an accident on the report will make most buyers walk away.  Regardless, that mindset does start to shift once a system is discontinued, especially if you have documentation of when the refurbishment took place and if it's after or near the end of the lifespan of the product.  I imagine the people that might be interested in a device like this are those that know it could be new but also want a device like this for use.  Getting a late, factory refurb could equal getting a new, late model device that's going to be much more reliable than a well used/loved model from the early product life cycle.

So TL;DR:, I don't know but there are various factors at work here.  I'll say that as a collectors item, it could definitely be worth something but probably not today.  I'd give it another 10 years just as a 3DS/2DS oddity.  But, for now, the best value you might get for it is selling it at the price of a new unit that's not CIB.

• Like 1