IGNORED

Neo Geo AES sound buzzing

Rudybegga

I traded for an AES on the ole NA forums and it's making a buzzing sound when connected to my HDTV. 

Every time there's a scene change, the volume of the buzzing increases and decreases.  I think it's av modded, too. 

Does anyone know if it is a capacitor issue, hdtv connection compatibility issue, maybe I have to run it through a sound system with a ground?  Or would it work fine playing on a tube tv?

Let me know if you need further pictures or for me to try anything...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Rudybegga said:

I don't think it's HDMI, maybe av plugged into an HDTV?  I honestly can't remember the type of AV cable plugged into the tv, I just remembered the seller saying it was modified, I think.

Ok, how are you plugging it up to your TV?  That will tell everyone exactly what interface is the problem.  It really sounds like it has some sort of standard AV out, like composite or component, as I would think you'd know immediately if it were HDMI or not.  Buzzing is common from composite or component audio if there's an issue with the grounding of the audio cables/ports coming from the console, if the cables being used to connect the console to the TV don't have a good connection, are dirty, etc.  If you're still not sure what sort of plug you're using, take a photo and post it, guaranteed somebody on here will know what it is and thus start being able to troubleshoot with you in earnest.

3 hours ago, Rudybegga said:

I posted a pic in the other forum.  S video into red white yellow.  Not HDMI.

Saw it and replied there.  BTW, it's an 8-pin DIN going into composite video, not an s-video port.  Basically the same port and type of output as the model 1 Sega Genesis, although the pinout may be different between the two.  Your problem could be as simple as a bit of dirt or oxidation in the AV port.  I'd get some electronic contact cleaner or DeOxIt to spray into the port (and the male plug that goes into it), let them dry, then give them another shot.  I'd also make sure that there's no dirt, rust, etc. showing on the red/white audio plugs coming off of your AV cable for the system.

FYI, you will most likely get some level of input lag connecting composite directly to an HDTV.  For the easiest, least expensive way to be rid of that, I recommend picking up a RetroTINK 2X-Mini, as it will upscale your composite signal to 480p lag-free and then output it via HDMI, which your HDTV will either display as-is or also upscale to whatever resolution you've got it set at, also lag-free.  I've connected my NES, SNES, models 1 & 2 Genesis, N64, Apple IIe, etc. to it and had fantastic results, and always lag free.