IGNORED

Game Boy Everdrive question

Gamegearguy

I have a technical question about the Everdrive.

I'd like to playtest the Frank the Fruit Fly game on a real GB using the Everdrive. I have an Everdrive, but the game I'm making utilizes an 8kb save feature. How would an Everdrive handle that? Could I, say, put in the game and a .sav file and the Everdrive would read the .sav file and continue the game where I left off in the emulator on my computer? I notice my Everdrive has one of those round batteries, which I assume is for saving stuff. How much data can it save? My game uses just a tiny fraction of the 8k allotted for saving game data in RAM. All I have saved in my game is $A000, $A001, and $A002, so just three variables.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The everdrive doesn't last I looked need to be told what save file size or type being used, it just auto detects and goes.  In the older days of the pre EZ-flash IV devices you did have to select from a half dozen or more file types for save or it would just not work, or you'd have to patch some stuff like flash save vs battery backed because it didn't support it.

With your game I think the ED should just take the file, and the sav file, and just work if you pop them on there in the right place and they're named exactly the same characters before the .gb / .sav extension.  The ED can save anything a real gameboy game save chip format would, so if you're not doing something screwball I don't think you should have any concerns.

I mean if you want, you could send me the data and I could try it out.  I can go by two methods, I can write it just to a memory card, and I think I may have a means to use my GB Operators device as well as it has some read-write capability but is still being developed.   I don't know code so I can't help you with memory ranges.