IGNORED

SNES Kiosk Help

Doombot

Thanks for the response, I double checked my board inside and they dont have the connectors yours does. It looks like yours were put in maybe after? Mine just has the spots for them with the bare pads. Wonder if that means I can solder some in. When I get home I'll upload a pic. I love working on kiosks, this is my 10th, but this one seems to have a lot more going on internally than the others I have.

1 hour ago, koko said:

Thanks for the response, I double checked my board inside and they dont have the connectors yours does. It looks like yours were put in maybe after? Mine just has the spots for them with the bare pads. Wonder if that means I can solder some in. When I get home I'll upload a pic. I love working on kiosks, this is my 10th, but this one seems to have a lot more going on internally than the others I have.

When I got mine the previous owner modded it by soldering a single RCA plug to a spot on the inside board.  So it can be done.

I’m not sure where he soldered it though and my kiosk is kind of in a hard to get to spot to take it apart and look.

Mine is currently apart but here is the version I have. Do you know which pad the video goes into? On yours it looks like the one on the right. Mine has a key as well,  although I’m pretty sure they are generic and can be bought cheap from anywhere. 

679D34AB-C4F3-4E00-BD31-8E790D710F06.png

C656E783-6D72-489A-AF6D-A4CBC0541E36.jpeg

27503059-266E-48FD-9F85-63D79FD09856.jpeg

19D696B6-9A2A-4F54-9EDB-4156BEB4BE89.jpeg

Edited by koko

@koko

I would strip an RCA cord. Plug the connector into the video slot on your tv, start everything up, and with the bare wire on the opposite end of the cord try each pad until you get video on your TV. I’m guessing it is J10.

The mod on mine was ran off the SCART plug on the board right below those pads. One of the 21 solder points there puts out composite video. I just can’t remember what one it is.

Edited by Bubbapauls

That sounds like a good plan, gonna give it a try this weekend. The speakers still work perfectly, just need to open the light and clean the inside, and swap out the controllers. I'm pretty sure they are original and gross as hell. The console is original but the reset doesnt seem to be working even though its plugged in, going to have to trouble shoot that as well. I dont really want it resetting but I would like to get it all back into working order as much as possible. Thanks for the help. It's unfortunate the original TV was smashed, considering using the case in a project.

301638DB-C70A-4501-944F-CBDC83794B21.jpeg1A40E0EA-CA02-4A26-B977-5780025B0705.thumb.jpeg.78625208dc2d276fd6cbf790c9e2613e.jpeg

Edited by koko

Are there any pieces off the monitor that people usually need for parts. When it comes time to take off the shell, the monitor is probably going in the garbage, but I’d be open to stripping parts that someone might need to get theirs going.

Edited by koko

On 1/14/2020 at 7:51 AM, attakid101 said:

I remember NA member lojack had a connection for reproduction acrylic shells for that kiosk.

I looked into that, it was the gameboy taller style which I didn’t want. Also the shipping was I think from Australia to Canada and was not cheap

• 11 months later...

@LaC Hate to revive an old thread and call upon your wealth of knowledge, but I have two screwball questions about the snes kiosk monitor:

What cable would I need to use the snes kiosk monitor with a standard console output?, i.e. no circuitboard for the scart to plug into. Ideally I want to go from composite to DB9 for some rgb gaming on this kick ass monitor.

Second, I have two of these monitors, one stopped working after being stored in a hot attic (dumb on my part). Now I get a solid horizontal white line on the screen. Have you seen this before? From what I read it is vertical compression issue likely due to bad solder joints or capacitors (both which maybe fail due to heat) Before I naively hunt down the problem, I would like to ask if this is common and where the problem usually lies?

If anyone else here is familiar with this issue I would love some advice!

Thanks,

Dan

12 hours ago, dantendo said:

@LaC Hate to revive an old thread and call upon your wealth of knowledge, but I have two screwball questions about the snes kiosk monitor:

What cable would I need to use the snes kiosk monitor with a standard console output?, i.e. no circuitboard for the scart to plug into. Ideally I want to go from composite to DB9 for some rgb gaming on this kick ass monitor.

Second, I have two of these monitors, one stopped working after being stored in a hot attic (dumb on my part). Now I get a solid horizontal white line on the screen. Have you seen this before? From what I read it is vertical compression issue likely due to bad solder joints or capacitors (both which maybe fail due to heat) Before I naively hunt down the problem, I would like to ask if this is common and where the problem usually lies?

If anyone else here is familiar with this issue I would love some advice!

Thanks,

Dan

The beginning of this thread has the pinout for the DB9 if you want to make your own scart->db9 cable.  I never tried doing this.

I am not sure if there is additional amplification on the kiosk pcb for the video though.  So might require duplicating whatever it is doing.

Yeah the other thing sounds like vertical collapse. 

When looking from the back of the monitor there is a large heat sink on the left side with 1 or 2 ICs.  These probably need to be replaced.  I don't have the part # handy so you will have to read it off the chip.   I do know they fail as I replaced them once before.  Could just be caps too.  You can replace the caps around that area and it might help.  I would suggest recapping the whole monitor.

Edited by LaC