IGNORED

SNES Kiosk Help

Doombot

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here was familiar with the SNES kiosks and could help me figure out something. I've had the Kiosk a few years, everything on it works fine, aside from the dull/faded coloring on the screen. I recently purchased a replacement SCART cable as many people feel this is the common issue with these kiosks, but while I had the kiosk open, I can see there is another cable that could possibly be the culprit. I just have no idea what kind of cable this is or if I can even find a replacement.spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Doombot said:

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here was familiar with the SNES kiosks and could help me figure out something. I've had the Kiosk a few years, everything on it works fine, aside from the dull/faded coloring on the screen. I recently purchased a replacement SCART cable as many people feel this is the common issue with these kiosks, but while I had the kiosk open, I can see there is another cable that could possibly be the culprit. I just have no idea what kind of cable this is or if I can even find a replacement.

I assume you are referring to the M80C?  And not some other one...

That cable looks alot like what would go in the M80C monitor.  But... I've never seen it with missing pins in the DB9 (the vga like connector).  Nor have I seen it with the molex connector taped on there.  Quite odd.

Make sure the scart cable you acquired for it was a JP-21 and not a Euro Scart cable.  Or it could damage it.

I know quite a bit about that kiosk but the picture confuses me.  The only cable I know of that makes colors mess up is the scart cable that has three capacitors in it that go bad and need replaced.  That fixed the color on mine.  Is that the cable that connects the monitor to the sound board?

If that’s messed up you’ll have to build one because they almost never come up for sale by themselves.  Here’s a guide I made to build that cable.

0EB6333B-4455-4861-AE1A-3C6C87AF5D17.thumb.jpeg.b6a292e29be2f765a7ff217bd20b7e0f.jpeg

1 minute ago, Doombot said:

Sure, you can see where each end attaches here.

75231688_564303137721956_5973573208291409920_n.jpg

75429441_538509133393421_2808925649719263232_n.jpg

I’ve never heard of that cable being a problem.  Just that it’s missing because someone converted it to a different monitor with an RCA cable mod.

If you have a multimeter you can check continuity and make sure nothing in that cable is messed up. 

Do you have a picture of the faded colors on the monitor?  I could help you diagnose your problem with that.

The sound was never an issue with the kiosk, it was just that this cord was looking pretty rough once I opened the kiosk. I did not know it was an audio cable. 

I was just trying to swap the scart cable with a replacement, but now I'm concerned as the previous poster said it could damage the kiosk. I'm not technically savvy so this stuff make me want to smash my head against a wall lol

4 minutes ago, Doombot said:

The sound was never an issue with the kiosk, it was just that this cord was looking pretty rough once I opened the kiosk. I did not know it was an audio cable. 

I was just trying to swap the scart cable with a replacement, but now I'm concerned as the previous poster said it could damage the kiosk. I'm not technically savvy so this stuff make me want to smash my head against a wall lol

It’s just a video cable.

29 minutes ago, Doombot said:

I see now I thought this cable was hanging out the other end it is what goes in the AV board inside.  Looks normal.

Make sure you got a JP21 Scart cable.  Don't plug a Euro Scart cable into it.  At best it won't work, and at worst you will damage something. 

Where did you get the cable? It will help determine if you got the right one.

12 minutes ago, Doombot said:

Yeah, the new scart replacement definitely doesn't work. The screen just flickers, no game loading.

Here's how it looks with the original scart.

Yup you got the wrong cable. 

You want this one:

https://retro-access.com/collections/super-nintendo/products/super-nintendo-famicom-snes-sfc-csync-xrgb-japanese-21-pin-rgb-jp-21-cable-lead

Or get the official one here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-RGB-SCART-CABLE-JAPAN-Super-Nintendo-for-FRAMEMEISTER-XRGB-JP21-perfect/233385107086

You can also get the cheap ones from china for $10, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by LaC

Ah thanks for linking those! 

I think I'll get the official one and save myself the headache of trying to fix the original scart as I'm not knowledgable about soldering/ cleaning the connectors.

I've had the damn thing for about 5 years now, I just want it to look nice finally.

Edited by Doombot

19 minutes ago, attakid101 said:

Ha! I know exactly the kiosk you’re talking about. I wondered where that one ended up. I saw it for sale YEARS ago. How did you get your hands on it?

Really? Where did you see it for sale? I bought if 5 or more years ago from someone cleaning out an old office building that said it had been sitting in the basement for years.

Do you know what the door looked like when it had it? When it came to me, the door was simply an opening and the actually door was gone. There is a shelf inside, I assume to store games and accessories.

The door is hard to see in this pic, I'll have to take another when it's back together.

IMG_0014.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is there any connector that can attach to the DB9 end that gives you regular video out for a replacement tv? I picked up my grail last night, this kiosk, but the monitor was broken. I'd like to use the external speakers of the kiosk while running a yellow AV cable to the tv. I was wondering if this would work:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/VGA-3-Rca-to-DB9-Male_60825767815.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.51.32e271e0Zq5lam

Edited by koko

2 hours ago, koko said:

Is there any connector that can attach to the DB9 end that gives you regular video out for a replacement tv? I picked up my grail last night, this kiosk, but the monitor was broken. I'd like to use the external speakers of the kiosk while running a yellow AV cable to the tv. I was wondering if this would work:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/VGA-3-Rca-to-DB9-Male_60825767815.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.51.32e271e0Zq5lam

That cable won’t work. 

Ok, is there any world where you can use the internal speaker with the video for a crt? I can make a new post about it as I also have other questions, just wondering with the amount of people that have needed a replacement tv if anyone had come up with a solution to have video to new crt, but sound to internal speakers 

55 minutes ago, koko said:

Ok, is there any world where you can use the internal speaker with the video for a crt? I can make a new post about it as I also have other questions, just wondering with the amount of people that have needed a replacement tv if anyone had come up with a solution to have video to new crt, but sound to internal speakers 

I can’t remember off the top of my head if there is a plug inside for video through an rca style plug but I think there is.0EB6333B-4455-4861-AE1A-3C6C87AF5D17.thumb.jpeg.b6a292e29be2f765a7ff217bd20b7e0f.jpeg

On 11/10/2019 at 3:35 PM, Bubbapauls said:

Left side of the picture shows the rca style plugs inside. I think you can get your video signal there.