IGNORED

DOOM SNES Interview DF Retro

Tanooki

Found this popped up in my feeds today and it's quite a solid half hour to soak in.  I know it wasn't the best version, but it wasn't the worst either of DOOM, and yet oddly was in a way the best given it did have the most PC ported stages done to it and intact no less which is nuts.  Check out the details it's pretty amazing people are still kicking the can on this to fix it up more, and seems someone down in brazil figured out how to take this 10-15FPS game up to around 25FPS (full speed for PAL then) moving a technique off the FX2 into the HDMA of the hardware on the console itself.  I'd LOVE to see a build of that in action on my console, shame I can't build a damn thing. 😞

• Like 2

As someone who didn't have a PC in their household in the mid-90's, the SNES port was the most reliable means I had to play Doom and it was met with open arms. When I couldn't play it at the University computer lab, I was playing it at home. I loved it, even though it was graphically limited and missing stages. I didn't really care at that point, I was just happy to be able to play Doom as much as possible. I couldn't afford to buy my own copy but I rented it multiple times and I believe I beat the entire thing eventually. Inferior Doom is still Doom. That's the brilliance of that game.

13 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

As someone who didn't have a PC in their household in the mid-90's, the SNES port was the most reliable means I had to play Doom and it was met with open arms. When I couldn't play it at the University computer lab, I was playing it at home. I loved it, even though it was graphically limited and missing stages. I didn't really care at that point, I was just happy to be able to play Doom as much as possible. I couldn't afford to buy my own copy but I rented it multiple times and I believe I beat the entire thing eventually. Inferior Doom is still Doom. That's the brilliance of that game.

...and then there was Doom 64.

(I know, I know.  Separated by 4.5 years, so it doesn't count but I can have fun.)

@Webhead123@RH You know, that makes sense, a lot of sense as many people if you think about it did NOT have a home PC still in 1993.  The costs still sucked, into the couple of thousand to have a full system, accessories, screen to use, so you had to rely on libraries and schools really.  And good luck popping Doom on there and having that last right?  The fact the SNES in 1995 got that game was stunning, the technical achievement was insane, so few could pull off, lucky Randy existed and of all things Sculptured Software that gave them the wide latitude and leeway to pull off an epic stunt like that hacking a reverse engineered cracked development kit by hand.  The thing is, DOOM on SNES largely, is not that limited visually speaking, at least if you go by the honest minimum spec of the original release of the game it is based on.  Doom was meant for a 386SX/DX33 if I remember right, but on that you either played it in a (insert postage stamp meme) box or did what Randy did, pixel doubling to double the frame rate setting it up manually on DOS to do this.  The SNES one just did this as it's all it could do to run it as nicely as that 386 would do.  The only real limits was in the end, storage, and cpu cycles.  Storage kept the other monster views, saving and/or passwords out largely, and not all the stages just many/most.  The CPU kept the floor/ceiling and moving sky textures out, it couldn't keep up.

And Doom 64 isn't Doom, it's the true Doom 3, I didn't even realize it until around 1998 I think, when I bought it second hand on a whim for $10 at a shop in town then, blew my damn mind having a total lost new doom chapter to enjoy.