IGNORED

Frustrating Gameboy manual variants

TM is an unregistered trademark indicator, while circle R means it was officially registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office.

My guess is they began distribution with the TM ones, and somewhere during the run the registration went through and they switched.

• Agree 1

Just now, Tulpa said:

TM is an unregistered trademark indicator, while circle R means it was officially registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office.

My guess is they began distribution with the TM ones, and somewhere during the run the registration went through and they switched.

This, with the addition that since it's such a minor change that they didn't bother changing the item number.  That's usually reserved for a fixed typo or some other major change.  Another major change that didn't get a -1 (or beyond) identifier was on the NES when they put the epilepsy warning in the manuals instead of on a slip of paper included in the package, though this was denoted on the manual with an asterisk after the item code.  But yeah, unless there was a major change to the manual, they simply wouldn't make note of it.

I did find one other difference - there was a typo fixed in these manuals on the final page  (and extra carriage return on the final page near the end of the Warranty and disclaimers section.

Could the TM manuals be Gameboy 'launch' versions?

Never knew about the asterisk meaning on the NES manuals.  Good to know.

Edited by dogbowl