IGNORED

March 2022: Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

SailorScoutMandy

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King 

image.png.9f0ad2f4596b04e4ee7c7cf1305cf505.png.f68371cbd8985575f3b62008a7c4b0aa.png

In the predawn hours, in a distressed American city, hundreds of unemployed men and women line up for the opening of a job fair. They are tired and cold and desperate. Emerging from the fog, invisible until it is too late, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes.

Months later, an ex-cop named bill Hodges, still haunted by the unsolved crime, contemplates suicide. When he gets a crazed letter from "the perk," claiming credit for the murders, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, fearing another even more diabolical attack and hell-bent on preventing it.

Brady Hartfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of eccentric and mismatched allies, can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose, because Brady's next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands.

Mr. Mercedes is a war between good and evil from the master of suspense whose insight into the mind of this obsessed, insane killer is chilling and unforgettable.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Yesterday I had the revelation that I should finish reading and rank EVERY Stephen King book.  Right now I'm about 20 away, and he puts out about 2 a year, so it's still a tall order.

Luckily I'm going to start taking advantage of my library's audiobooks to pull double time and work through books on my commutes.

Right now I'm listening to Hearts in Atlantis (2 discs done) and reading Mr. Mercedes (90 pages in).

I think I could pull it off by the end of next year.

...though there's also the issue of remembering and assessing stuff I read 25+ years ago...

• Wow! 1
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yesterday I had the revelation that I should finish reading and rank EVERY Stephen King book.  Right now I'm about 20 away, and he puts out about 2 a year, so it's still a tall order.

Luckily I'm going to start taking advantage of my library's audiobooks to pull double time and work through books on my commutes.

Right now I'm listening to Hearts in Atlantis (2 discs done) and reading Mr. Mercedes (90 pages in).

I think I could pull it off by the end of next year.

...though there's also the issue of remembering and assessing stuff I read 25+ years ago...

That would be an impressive feat. I look forward to seeing the list when it's done.

A lot of the audiobook versions of Stephen King novels are really well done. I listened to the whole Bill Hodges series plus The Outsider. It's hard to say which is my favourite King novel but this series definitely ranks up there as one of my favourites.  

Well, I strained my left calf muscle skateboarding Saturday afternoon which gave me plenty of time to get this book going. No Spoilers opinion below

Spoiler

I though it was alright, not as good as the 3.98 on goodreads would lead me to believe. It was kind of long and meandering, kind of predictable, and the ending wasn't very satisfying. I also found it kind of weird how self-referencing it was (Christine, It).

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Finished it as well.

I'd call it middle-of-the-pack for King, which is still rather good.  It's hard to penetrate his top 20.

Enjoyed the story overall.  I could see people objecting to some of the stuff King did with Jerome, and I feel the major death didn't get the proper gravitas it deserved, but that's a common problem with action/thriller/crime stories.

Compared to most of the newer King I've read, it holds its own with pacing and storytelling.  I'll probably start Finders Keepers in the next few months.

Also, the girl across from me in the ski lodge is reading Hyperion.

• Like 2