IGNORED

SNES For Display Only box questions

drxandy

20220216_154325.jpg.98b254f66a737455713a02d695d5d470.jpg

So I got these off of eBay because I think they're neat but I swear there being some debate on na about these being repros, the seller listed them with the following blurb:

Spoiler

6  Super Nintendo For Display only boxes(These boxes are Original Official Nintendo Made (FOR DISPLAY ONLY )  Boxes these are not reproductions )All The boxes are the exact same size as an original Super Nintendo Game Box   (GAMES AND CARDBOARD INSERTS ARE NOT  INCLUDED) We purchased these Display boxes from Jack of all games located in Ohio in 1996 who was an Official Nintendo Distributor and who was bought out by Take 2 interactive .   They have been in our Climate controlled warehouse since 1996  You will receive the following 6 for Display only Boxes (No Games or cardboard inserts are included )They are all in  good condition but not mint  Kirbys avalanche , F-Zero, Tetris Attack, Kirbys dreamcourse, Vegas stakes, Ken Griffey Jr Winning run

Anyways, just wondered if they were legit or what the story was. I know there's like 20 something of them and all Nintendo published games.

Edited by drxandy
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to SNES For Display Only box questions

A lot of people have the same question when they see these because the insides of the boxes are white cardboard instead of the usual grey fibre cardboard but they are indeed legitimate. All of these Not For Resale boxes were like this and as long as they appear to be old and are from a reputable seller, then you can feel comfortable about them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

They definitely made them back then, but who they were sent to and what were they were used for is what I am unsure about.

I do know I have never seen pictures of them in-stores so that is interesting. 

But I did get some from a former Nintendo merchandiser awhile back.

The KI box had the For Display only, but it looks different than usual,  And the box is definitely whiter on the inside.

Some of these boxes had an actual "Empty Box" sticker that was applied. 

These boxes were generally used for displays and the normal unfolded boxes were for damaged boxes to make them look more presentable (and the store would re-shrink wrap it or leave it unwrapped).

QXNmp5X.png

I think they are pretty cool, but its definitely a niche item.

That techbabe account on ebay has like a million of them they've been selling for years.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, LaC said:

They definitely made them back then, but who they were sent to and what were they were used for is what I am unsure about.

I do know I have never seen pictures of them in-stores so that is interesting. 

But I did get some from a former Nintendo merchandiser awhile back.

The KI box had the For Display only, but it looks different than usual,  And the box is definitely whiter on the inside.

Some of these boxes had an actual "Empty Box" sticker that was applied. 

These boxes were generally used for displays and the normal unfolded boxes were for damaged boxes to make them look more presentable (and the store would re-shrink wrap it or leave it unwrapped).

QXNmp5X.png

I think they are pretty cool, but its definitely a niche item.

That techbabe account on ebay has like a million of them they've been selling for years.

those look like they have the grey fiber type cardboard, were both types produced?