IGNORED

Windstorm causes fires northwest of Denver.

Tabonga

JamesRobot and I had lunch together at 1:00 and the winds came up suddenly - fierce enough that it was hard to walk against.

It apparently downed power lines and started grassfires (it has been really dry) which are threatening some populated areas.  The fires are nowhere near either of us - but I feel really sorry for people who are evacuating and may lose their homes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/12/30/boulder-wildfires-thousands-ordered-flee-their-homes-colorado/9057234002/

Edited by Tabonga
  • Wow! 1
  • Sad 1

Back in 2016 my grandmothers home town of Gatlinburg TN was nearly destroyed by fires caused by a windstorm.  The wind picked up branches and threw them into transformers, which exploded and dropped onto dry leaves from a summer long drought.  

I was a 911 operator at a time and we all watched the whole thing unfold from afar.  We sent firefighters down, about two hours away.  It was scary and sad.  

I hope you guys stay safe.  😞

Edited by Rhapsody98
  • Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted

Dude, it is crazy out here.  Rocky Flats reported 116 mph gusts.  Boulder is on fire.  Here's a long shot looking north from my work.

ohdSI2h.jpg

I had to go to the Discount Tire near me after work.  The roof was blown off and the building collapsed.  Lord I hope they were able to evacuate. 

dXXbc0H.jpg

• Wow! 1
  • Sad 3

Events Team · Posted

Just heard an update on the radio.  Mandatory evacuations in Boulder, Louisville, and Superior.  1600 acre fire and 500 homes lost so far.  Firefighters have pulled out and are unable to fight due to the high winds.  Likely the worst fire in state history.  😢

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Just heard an update on the radio.  Mandatory evacuations in Boulder, Luisville, and Superior.  1600 acre fire and 500 homes lost so far.  Firefighters have pulled out and are unable to fight due to the high winds.  Possibly the worst fire in state history.  😢

A subdivision in Arvada has also been evacuated - I think it is on the northernmost edge of Arvada.

And I think a good chunk of Broomfield is being evactuated.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Sad 2

52 minutes ago, Rhapsody98 said:

@JamesRobot @Tabonga  You guys still ok?

Thanks for asking - we are both fine since that stuff was nowhere near us. And we got a fair amount of snow last night which should have put paid to the problems in the fire area. 

Sadly they think about 1000 homes were destroyed and there are three people missing.

• Sad 1