• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Nateer said:

I didn't know the PAL NES games were sealed.

Can't speak for every distributor, but living in Europe at the time, I'd never seen a sealed NES (or SNES) game in stores.
That itself isn't very telling, because a lot of stores would systematically remove the seals and add their own security packaging and/or take out the cartridges for similar reasons.
I did occasionally see boxes that were "sealed" with a black branded "Nintendo" sticker, usually when a bunch of games were dumped in bargain sections of stuff like convenience stores that weren't typically selling video games, etc. so I'm sure if those games had been distributed in shrinkwrap like pictures, they would have been left as such.

It might differ for different regions of Europe, but at least that's what it was like in Scandinavia. This is PAL B, so it can't be a UK release either.

3 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Can't speak for every distributor, but living in Europe at the time, I'd never seen a sealed NES (or SNES) game in stores.
That itself isn't very telling, because a lot of stores would systematically remove the seals and add their own security packaging and/or take out the cartridges for similar reasons.
I did occasionally see boxes that were "sealed" with a black branded "Nintendo" sticker, usually when a bunch of games were dumped in bargain sections of stuff like convenience stores that weren't typically selling video games, etc. so I'm sure if those games had been distributed in shrinkwrap like pictures, they would have been left as such.

It might differ for different regions of Europe, but at least that's what it was like in Scandinavia. This is PAL B, so it can't be a UK release either.

Yeah, the black sticker I have seen before. 

But as you said, buying a new NES game back in the days - they were not sealed (sometimes with the black sticker). 
That's why I am sceptical seeing this. But the seal itself looks good.

Also found this on Heritage Auctions --> https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/castlevania-wata-85-ns-no-seal-pal-b-nes-konami-1987-gps/a/122102-13763.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Here it says 'NS' with the motivation that there was no seal to start with.

Is this evidence that this is not real, or could it be differing between difference countries within the EU?

The seal does look good, but it's pretty easy to produce those after the fact as well. I have a few sealed SNES games (literally just games I bought years ago, and didn't get around to playing, I don't like "collecting sealed") from the US, and I honestly have no idea whether that's a factory seal, store seal, or just some hobbyist thing.

12 minutes ago, Nateer said:

Is this evidence that this is not real, or could it be differing between difference countries within the EU?

It could easily be a difference between the different distributors at play between different countries in the EU. I'm sure someone else in here knows better, but I honestly don't think I've ever seen a European NES games sealed like this.

Whether it's "real" might also be a question of definition. It might still very real be original, as in sold like that from a store (applying their own plastic seal), even if the game wasn't distributed as such. It definitely looks like it's in mint condition.

Seal Hiccuping GIF

Edited by Sumez

I don't know anything about PAL NES games, but it looks very much like a third party seal to me. The plastic is a little cheaper and the seams are lower quality than you'd expect from a factory seal. Of course, if every individual country and retailer did their own thing in Europe, then it just depends on your definition of legit.