IGNORED

Any software difference between Canada and US realeses for gamecube games?

a_profile_name

Sometimes I see ntsc-u/c gamecube games listed by European sellers and they go for a bit lower then those sold by American sellers, I guess probably they move slower due the combination of region lockout and shipping cost. But I need international shipping anyway, so for me the best price is to order an ntsc-u/c game from a European seller. For some reason, it seems like most of them are the Canadian releases (right now I see four different uk based sellers selling an ntsc-u/c F-Zero GX, all of them are the Canadian versions).

Are there any differences between the releases? If I buy the Canadian release now, will the memory card save block work with the US version if I ever switch over?

As far as I can remember going back in the 90s, due to the very picky(laughable) pro-French laws in the Montreal and Quebec areas, they forced companies to double print paper media (papers, boxes, manuals, etc) in English and French or you were banned from peddling your goods.  The games, movies, audio, etc didn't require this at least probably some compromise over storage limits/added expense.  So if you buy a Canadian GC game you'll get double language paper, but the game should be identical to a NA(USA) release as far a content goes.  I don't remember seeing Canadian games that had an English/French switch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

As far as I can remember going back in the 90s, due to the very picky(laughable) pro-French laws in the Montreal and Quebec areas, they forced companies to double print paper media (papers, boxes, manuals, etc) in English and French or you were banned from peddling your goods.  The games, movies, audio, etc didn't require this at least probably some compromise over storage limits/added expense.  So if you buy a Canadian GC game you'll get double language paper, but the game should be identical to a NA(USA) release as far a content goes.  I don't remember seeing Canadian games that had an English/French switch.

Yes, the dual language on the box / manual is what made me realize they are Canadian. The novelty is pretty cool if you're not used to seeing it (though honestly I'm 100% ignorant on the whole political and social context of this that you mention). Just wanted to know if the software itself should be the same, as you answered.

• Like 1