IGNORED

Looking to buy Tubrografx 16 CD Dock only!

TubroINTV

Hello everyone, I'm looking for the dock that attaches the Turbografx cd unit to the console to play the cd games. I had purchased a lot on eBay from a guy who swore it worked and come to find out of course it had problems as did the cd unit that came with it, which I had to send in to get repaired and when it came back that's how I found out the dock was messed up too. Unfortunately the gentleman repairing the cd unit doesn't offer services for the dock, which I can imagine is due to the rarity of chips/parts and so I've landed here in an attempt to finally play some Turbo CD games. I've been slowly piecing everything over the last few months, buying system cards and a minty copy of JB Harold Murder Club, trying to get a fully working unit and I've finally had it with all the mishaps lol. If someone has an extra dock or knows someone willing to part with one PLEASE send them my way. I'm willing to pay the going rate just to finally put all this crap behind me. Also I know I don't have any sort of feedback here, but I'm on some of the other forums like Atariage and sell on eBay with about 1500 feedback. Thank you for your time everyone! 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt your dock is messed up.  Are you sue you have everything hooked up properly?  The bottom (underneath the system) docking switch needs to be pushed in and turned in order for it to work.  Also, the locking switch on the CD unit (upper portion, top of the system) needs to be in the lock position as well.  I have never seen a docking unit not work and I have had multiple.  I have had issues getting all the switches set and the proper card cleaned/set.  Make sure the card's contacts are clean.  What system card are you using?

Edited by tbone3969

On 11/10/2020 at 10:04 AM, TubroINTV said:

Still looking, I'd also consider just buying a full working set up too if nobody just has the dock for sale. Let me know guys, thanks for your time! 

I have a full set that I might part with but they are not cheap.  If you want the Super System 3.0 card you are talking big bucks.  PM me if interested.  These systems are a pain to get up and running properly, which is why I always recommend a DUO unit if anyone wants to get into the CD games.

Hello Tbone, sent you a pm about the turbografx cd, just saw this post too now right afterwards. For the turbgrafx cd unit I have, I got the CD unit refurbished by a gentleman. It had a broken gear and a failing laser he said, so he got replacement parts and sent it over, tested and working by him on Y's 3 before he sent it. I also have the system card 1, the black square with orange circle that says CD in the middle that I have been using with my dock. Now, when I play JB murder club I can navigate around the screens and such but when I leave the police station to go to another location, the game never loads and the CD just keeps spinning in the drive until it turns off. Sherlock Holmes is kind of the same thing, except I can basically play the whole game until I click on a library icon, then the game resets to the title screen for no apparent reason. Then, any of the action games I have like Valis II or Fighting Street will have graphical glitches if I play and crash either as soon as the fighting is about to start in Fighting Streets case, or in Valis II's case, I can run to the right but there are graphical glitches everywhere at the start of the level and when I touch an enemy the game freezes. The only game that seems to run with no problems that I noticed was Magical Dinosaur Tour, though there are really no action parts in it and it seems to be more of an encyclopedia than anything. I haven't tried cleaning everything super meticulously but I'll do so now. Als I will try firmly locking the two locks again and see what happens. Also, I am including pictures of Valis II and Monster Lair so you can see the graphical glitches if that helps. Thank you!  

monster lair.jpg

Valis iii.jpg

valis II.jpg

On 11/11/2020 at 1:09 PM, tbone3969 said:

I have a full set that I might part with but they are not cheap.  If you want the Super System 3.0 card you are talking big bucks.  PM me if interested.  These systems are a pain to get up and running properly, which is why I always recommend a DUO unit if anyone wants to get into the CD games.

I did just notice something additional now too, previously I hadn't had time to really fully test this thing since I've been busy with school the last 2 weeks with finals and I assumed that the problem lied outside of the CD drive. Well now I just sat down with my unit and tried JB Harold Club again, started up seemingly fine like every time, but then about 5 minutes after I started playing I noticed the LED on the disc drive went out, so instead of and 8 it looks like a backwards 6. Another 15 minutes later another LED went out so now the 8 is missing the top left side and very bottom side. Plugged it in by itself using a 9V Sega Genesis AC Adapter still missing the LEDs. I'm guessing now that the CD unit might actually still have a problem. LEft it alone for about 30 minutes, LED's came back on, then quickly went out again within about 2 - 3 minutes. Also, I previously had thought that the intro cinematics were playing fine but I just realized now that they are very badly messed up, probably should have sat through them when I first got the unit lol. Here are some pictures of the CD Led's and intro video to JB Harold. 

pc messed.jpg

8 messed up.jpg

jb harold.jpg

murder club 2.jpg

It seems like it is your CD unit.  There is only one guy I trust with my Turbo stuff.  He has fixed many systems for me over the years.  His name is Chris, AKA Keith Courage.

https://www.facebook.com/turbografxfan

If you can play regular hu card games with the dock attached then I doubt it is the dock.  Are you able to play hu card games without the graphical issues through the docks AV composite outputs? 

Send the CD unit out to Keith and let us know what happens.  Also, for gods sake please get some good Turbo CD games.  The ones you have are awful (besides Valis II).  lol

5 hours ago, tbone3969 said:

It seems like it is your CD unit.  There is only one guy I trust with my Turbo stuff.  He has fixed many systems for me over the years.  His name is Chris, AKA Keith Courage.

If you can play regular hu card games with the dock attached then I doubt it is the dock.  Are you able to play hu card games without the graphical issues through the docks AV composite outputs? 

Send the CD unit out to Keith and let us know what happens.  Also, for gods sake please get some good Turbo CD games.  The ones you have are awful (besides Valis II).  lol

Hello Tbone, just saw this, yes Chris is the gentleman who actually worked on the unit. We've been exchanging emails back and forth over the past few weeks to see what the problem might be. I've heard a lot of really good things about his services and so I trust that he went through and made sure it was all working. He thinks it is the dock based on some of the graphical issues, according to him he had it tested and working with Y's III.  He said he was able to get passed the intro cinematics and play through some of the first part of the game, which has me leaning towards it being a dock problem as well then. Also he mentioned only really seeing the graphics issues related to the dock, just one time he mentioned it was a CD unit. Later today I was planning on burning a CD-R copy of Y's III just to confirm, I suspect that it will lock up like the other games. When I play with the Hu-Cards, they all play perfectly fine through the dock, no corrupted graphics or audio issues. Nuetopia is also able to save, no problem.  

6 hours ago, tbone3969 said:

Hahaha, I know, Magical Dinosaur Tour probably belongs in the trash haha. 

12 minutes ago, TubroINTV said:

Hello Tbone, just saw this, yes Chris is the gentleman who actually worked on the unit. We've been exchanging emails back and forth over the past few weeks to see what the problem might be. I've heard a lot of really good things about his services and so I trust that he went through and made sure it was all working. He thinks it is the dock based on some of the graphical issues, according to him he had it tested and working with Y's III.  He said he was able to get passed the intro cinematics and play through some of the first part of the game, which has me leaning towards it being a dock problem as well then. Also he mentioned only really seeing the graphics issues related to the dock, just one time he mentioned it was a CD unit. Later today I was planning on burning a CD-R copy of Y's III just to confirm, I suspect that it will lock up like the other games. When I play with the Hu-Cards, they all play perfectly fine through the dock, no corrupted graphics or audio issues. Nuetopia is also able to save, no problem.  

Wow, you really have done all you can it seems.  At this point just buy another doc off eBay or get a re-capped DUO.  Not sure what else to say.  This would be the first time I have ever heard of a dock going bad but it is bound to happen sooner or later with gear this old.  Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-Turbo-Grafx-16-CD-DOCKING-BAY-Only-Untested-AS-IS-TurboGrafx/274575343178?hash=item3fedf73e4a:g:fBUAAOSw97dfsBrS

Edited by tbone3969

32 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

Wow, you really have done all you can it seems.  At this point just buy another doc off eBay or get a re-capped DUO.  Not sure what else to say.  This would be the first time I have ever heard of a dock going bad but it is bound to happen sooner or later with gear this old.  Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-Turbo-Grafx-16-CD-DOCKING-BAY-Only-Untested-AS-IS-TurboGrafx/274575343178?hash=item3fedf73e4a:g:fBUAAOSw97dfsBrS

Yeah I saw that dock too on eBay, after the 1st dock didn't work I'm a little hesitant to buy anything untested, I'd rather just pay more for one with guarantee but I'll have to see since I know these things just don't come up very often.  

On 11/20/2020 at 12:25 AM, captmorgandrinker said:

I may still have mine; I don't remember selling it?   I'll see if I can find it; CD and dock both work.

Hello Captmorgandrinker, thank you, fortunately I was able to get another dock and all of the problems went away so looks like the dock was bad and cd and card were good. Thank you for your reply though.  

3 hours ago, TubroINTV said:

Hello Captmorgandrinker, thank you, fortunately I was able to get another dock and all of the problems went away so looks like the dock was bad and cd and card were good. Thank you for your reply though.  

So it was the dock.  Weird.  Nice you got it up and running.  Enjoy it.

4 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

So it was the dock.  Weird.  Nice you got it up and running.  Enjoy it.

Yes thankfully it was just the dock and not a problem with the CD Unit. It was pure hell getting all of this up and running, time to sit back and play some Y's. 

Edited by TubroINTV